Chapter Thirty Two

"Hi." Andrew greeted as soon as the door opened, "Is this a bad time?"

The blonde smiled, she then opened the door even wider, "No. No. Come in."

A sweet smile and a silent nod came from Andrew as he stepped into Sandra's home. Just this morning, the news broke out about Cate's shooting suspect. It was a 27 year-old drunk man who was just playing his gun.  The man was in jail already and without Andrew, it wouldn't be possible for it was Andrew who processed everything.

"How are you?" He asked as he stood in the living room.

Cate didn't speak, instead, she rushed towards him and wrapped her arms around Andrew. She hugged him so tightly. Andrew sighed, but he immediately hugged the blonde back. The feeling of each other's warmth in that cold sunday morning was so comforting for the both of them. Cate never dared to speak a word as they hugged, but Andrew knew that she had a lot of things hidden inside. Cate's eyes spoke a thousand unsaid words and Andrew could see through her. He looked at her face and it pained him to see that she was bearing so much agony. He knew and once witnessed that her ex wife was a literal sunshine - she could light up a dark room with just her mere presence, but that day was different. Her hug held an unbearable pain. Her heartbeat throbbed against his chest, and he knew, he always did - her heart was crying. The warmth lingering around her was cold, and for Andrew, it was heartbreaking.

Andrew tightened his hug, "You okay?"

The blonde shook her head, "Just hug me a little longer." She whispered and Andrew did.

A few gentle sighs passed and both have found themselves sitting on the sofa. The silence between them wasn't that long. And as they sat in silence, Andrew wanted to spit everything out for the last time. He wanted to have a talk with her, without all the filters and the constant feigning. He would admit that their marriage was far from being perfect, but they both tried. It's just that, it wasn't working and he knew that Cate deserved something more, someone better, and so he let her go. But now, seeing the pain that her ex wife had to endure, he badly wanted to kiss those away. If only he could.

He had her once in a lifetime tale - in the middle of his palm, she ran in circles, trying to find her way out. He became manipulative and jealous during those nights of after-parties, but it was just because he loved her. He held her so dearly that he didn't realize he was grasping way too hard that it choked her, making her breathless. Andrew didn't know that she was struggling to free herself away from his touch. He was confident that she would never let go, but when he told her so, the relief on her face was apparent. It was a mutual decision to end the marriage. 

To say that he didn't know about Sandra and Cate's affair when their marriage was still intact would be a total lie. He knew, but he kept his tongue. How could Andrew be mad when all he saw was the tenderness and the love between "best friends?" When their marriage officially ended and when he knew that Cate and Sandra got back together, he was hurt, but more so, he was happy. And now, with him having to witness all the sacrifices that Sandra had done for his ex wife, he believed that ending their marriage was the right thing. He had already accepted the fact that he was just a rest stop, while Sandra, - she would always be Cate's final destination; that someone whom she will choose to be with, over and over again. And without a doubt, Cate would spend a hundred lifetimes with Sandra.

"Thank you." Cate broke the silence as she held Andrew's hand, "I don't know what would I do without you." She  added, ushering them both to sit on the couch.

"You're always welcome, you know." He smiled, "I know your heart and days from now, you will pull out the case, you will stop the charges, so I was the one who filed the case. Even if you want it or not, I'm pushing it. That guy needs to pay for what he did to you and Sandra." Andrew held Cate's hand that was on his lap, "Where is she? Is Sandra okay?"