Stay or Go?

(Skip, Seahawk's POV)

Megan lay curled up in Connor's arms, her brow furrowing.

Wordlessly, I created ice out of the water particles in the air and placed some of it on her neck. It looked like a loose choker, not too tight on her bruising, but enough to remain in contact with them.

She sighed in her sleep, and Connor grunted softly.

"No problem," I muttered tiredly.

Everyone was quiet after the exhausting mission, even KF, and I could see they didn't usually go through something as traumatic as this.

Sure, they went through some tough stuff, but now they know what it feels like to lose a team member.

Even if it was only for a moment.

(A/N: The failsafe episode didn't happen yet, I'm switching it to be further ahead in time than it is originally).

I felt a twinge in my heart, and I couldn't help but think what would have happened if my previous team didn't stay gone.

Peering over at Megan's neck again, I took in the painful bruising.

The swelling wasn't as bad, but she needed medical expertise to see the full extent of her injury. With my experience, it would be better to have some x-rays to examine.

____

With every dip, rise, and movement of the ship, I clutched the arms of my chair, leaving small indents from my nails.

My stomach started to drop, and I knew we were landing at the Mountain.

Shakily climbing down from the ship, the concrete firmly planted beneath my feet, I finally sighed in relief.

Children of Poseidon were not meant to be in the sky, even if we were given permission from Drama Queen himself.

Feeling Connor behind me, I turned as he let out a soft, low rumble.

Carefully passing Megan to me, she nestled into my arms as I shifted my weight. I looked him in the eyes and a silent understanding passed between us.

Megan was like a little sister to me, someone special to him, and we wouldn't let anything happen to her.

It was a surprise to everyone, but he seemed to trust me more than ever now.

Walking down the many white hallways, I got Megan to the Med Bay, relief washing over us as she was cleared.

Her throat would be sore for a couple of days, but she still had her voice, which was a miracle. She was to eat soft foods, to not irritate it further, but all of us focused on one thing.

She was alive.

(skip)

Draped across the couch, we all sat watching Megan's favorite T.V show, when Batman walked in dramatically.

I was being called to the debriefing room alone, even though I was with the team in the debriefing earlier.

I could sense their eyes on me as they looked up at me in concern, Megan the most so out of everyone.

They all knew the situation I was in: I was given strict orders to stay behind the scenes until cleared and told otherwise. But I didn't, I did the exact reverse.

I did think of running the opposite way, knowing the fastest path to the Zeta tube, and my demigod speed would give me an extra boost.

But I went anyway.

Why you might ask: 1. I had to take responsibility for my decisions on the field. 2. I was a part of this team.

"Seahawk," Batman roughly greeted me, gesturing to a chair.

I nodded to him before sinking into the leather, my chin resting on my chest.

It felt like I was a little boy, sitting at a school table, waiting to be scolded.

I tried to listen to what he was saying, as he was going over the mission, but it was so hard to focus.

I kept going back to Megan lying on the floor, and the bruising around her small neck.

"When did you arrive at the location."

It was more of a statement than a question, and I steadied my voice, "I came right behind the rest of the team, I was there the whole time. Robin was aware of my presence in case something did go wrong and they needed me."

I could see his mask shift in surprise, but if you weren't a part of the Bat-family, you wouldn't even have noticed.

My zoning out and joking manner stopped, I was answering questions clearly, and it seemed Batman was thrown off for a moment.

He wasn't used to this side of me.

Recovering, he went on for a while, talking about even more details of the mission, before moving to the main point, "The problem, Seahawk, as you may know, is that you disobeyed direct orders. You put yourself in danger."

I frowned, slipping off my hood, "You're right, I took a chance. But I did what I had to do for the team, I felt something compelling me to go, so I went."

He opened his mouth, but I tumbled on, "And I may not have been cleared yet for my "unstableness"," I sneered at the word, "but I saved Megan. If I wasn't there, I don't want to think about what would have happened. I have to be there for my team."

I didn't notice I was standing until I sat back down, "If you want to kick me off the team for disobeying orders, or whatever, then go ahead, but I know I did the right thing for my friends."

He picked up some papers, shuffling them around until he came to stand tall above me.

I copied his stance, standing my ground, and waited for what seemed like an eternity.

"I agree, you did the right thing," I almost fell back in shock, "the rest of the original 7 do too. Instincts are important, Seahawk, and it seems to me you have some good ones."

In a whoosh of his cape, he turned to leave, "We believe it is time you have permission to go on the field, especially considering the success you had today."

"We have all of those deadly crates in our possession, and do you know what was inside? There was a formula inside to create monsters, stronger villains. You saved a lot of people. Good work."

And he was out the door before I could close my flopping mouth.

I was left stunned in my chair, before realizing what this meant.

I was allowed on the field with my team.