14 - Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

Miles was right. It really was a playdate. It says on the calendar. Welp. So much for my idea of "responsible godmother." Two days in and I have already forgotten about the calendar. In my defense, I have so much in mind at the moment. Plus, the calendar was with Matthew. How am I supposed to know?

Kathie and Emma (the triplets' nanny) brought cookies and cupcakes. Thank God. Because I'm about to do some stress-eating. I leaned against the doorframe (my third strawberry cupcake in hand) and watched Miles with his cousins play in his playroom – closely supervised by Emma and Matthew.

Chloe is coloring one of her drawing books on the kiddie table, Miles is building a castle with his Lego, and Kyle and Coby are wrestling over a dinosaur. Matthew is trying to break it up and... failing mightily. The playroom was a mess but mute the playful screeches and it could be peaceful to the eye. Emma is patient as Matthew. Matthew is as good with kids as Emma.

They can be good together.

I was just about to take another bite of my cupcake when Kathie came up from behind me.

"How are you guys getting along?" Kathie playfully elbowed my arm with more force than necessary.

The cupcake missed my mouth and made a slanting trail of icing across my cheek. I turned to Kathie and gave her a black look. "I was going makeup-free today."

"Oh, gosh. I'm really sorry. I'll get you some napkins."

"Nah, don't worry about it. I was gonna wash my face anyway." I turned away from the playroom and started heading to the kitchen, icing still on my cheek.

Kathie followed me. "So, how are you guys getting along?"

"You're that interested to know?"

"You're dodging the question. All the more reason I should be interested."

We made it to the kitchen with Kathie prodding and me dodging every question. I walked over to the sink and set aside my cupcake. "Why are you so interested in all of this?"

She propped her elbow next to the sink and watched me lean over the faucet to let the water run down my icing-smeared cheek. "There's nothing new to this. I'm always interested in my best friend's welfare."

I snorted. "Yeah, right."

Kathie chuckles and gives my arm another nudge, this time with just the slightest force. "You look stressed out."

Understatement.

"Just work stuff."

She nods, unconvinced. "I'm gonna get you a soft towel."

"I'll be fine with a kitchen towel, Kathie."

She shakes her head, ignoring my protest, and left my side. I didn't stop at drenching my cheek clean from icing. I did my whole face. It felt necessary at the moment. Maybe it will wash off the heated conversation I had earlier with my mother – one of the million arguments we had in the past and will be having in the future because we never agree on anything. My dad wouldn't be much of a referee either. What can I say? Jordan Keith is just an extension of Lilian.