4 - Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

I linked fingers with Rachel as we near the front steps of Audrey's impressive two-story home. I knew there's a spare key on one of the gorgeous flowerpots. I slept over too many times before. When neighbors get too loud at night and to babysit when Kathie needs the nanny more. Yep, my besties share a nanny.

I ring the doorbell, looking over to Rachel who's typing on her phone. "We're really late."

"Don't worry about it," I say with a dismissive wave of my hot pink fingernails. I texted Audrey and Kathie if we could meet up at Audrey's. Chassie and Kylie came over – it's nice to have a wider circle of girlfriends. And then Rachel accepted my and Audrey's invitations so, that makes us six women on a girl's night. I'm feeling a little proud having initiated it.

The door swung open, a frowning Audrey coming into view. "You really need a watch with you. Fifteen minutes late, Jessica."

"And you need a honeymoon." I crushed her into a hug, prolonging it when she shifted in discomfort.

"I just did a full-face makeup."

"Then you shouldn't have done a full-face makeup when you asked the girls to meet up." She pats my shoulder, shaking herself free from the hug.

"Seriously, you really need to go on a honeymoon."

She ignored me, rolling her eyes and turning to Rachel. "Rach. I'm so glad you could make it." She smiles, giving her the briefest one-arm hug.

"Yeah. I had to make it up to you for missing your wedding." Rachel smiles apologetically. There's always been a gentleness to her that allowed her to pull off the lovely doe-eyed look effortlessly. She appears so sweet and docile even from across the room.

"I understand that you had to go home to your family for a few days." She steps aside, inviting us in.

My lips purse thoughtfully. "Where's Miles?"

"In his room. Vren's tucking him in." She led us to the kitchen and through the sliding doors that led to the backyard.

I snorted. "You don't let my Mile-sy do anything fun."

"It's bedtime." She frowned. "Your version of fun is making him stay up so late to watch movies with you."

A confused crinkle formed between my brows. "I do not. Who told you that?" Ugh. It was Miles and I's secret.

Her prefect brow twitched up. "No one. I just know it when my son and his godmother lie."

Rachel broke into a chuckle. "I can offer to babysit sometimes, Aud."

"Hush. You have enough on your plate."

Outside, there's a table set up by the swimming pool with happily chattering women who looked livelier when they saw me and Rachel.