9 - Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

I slink my way next to Kathie who was happily chattering with the guests. I had the camera sling around my neck, my halter top fisted into a ball in my other hand. I leaned to her ear. "Kathie, I need to borrow one of your shirts."

She flinched in surprise. She turns slightly to me, doing a double take when she saw the suit jacket. "What happened to you?" She whispers.

"Shirt first, please." I begged with my eyes.

Kathie nods, linking her arm with mine. She gestured at her mother, Elizabeth Lewis nearby before ushering me to the house. I did a little wave and an apologetic smile for making Kathie leave her to entertain the guests. I spotted Margaret Parkinson with her along with Claire Forester, so that chips the tiniest bit of the guilt off my chest.

We trudge silently to the stairs leading to the master's bedroom. Kathie hauls me inside and closed the door. "Okay, tell me what happened?"

"I had a little accident." I showed her my halter top which made her suck in a breath.

"The strings snapped?"

I nodded. "Actually, make that a colossal accident. I need a damn shirt now."

"Whose jacket is that?"

I pressed my lips together. "I don't want to say."

She folded her arms over her chest. "No shirt then."

"Kathie." I groaned.

"Whose jacket is it, Jess?"

I clicked my tongue. "It's Matthew's."

Her rich, brown eyes rounded. "Matthew?"

"Yes, he helped me out. Can I get a shirt now, please?"

Although still reeling from the information, she sashayed toward the enormous walk-in closet. She came back with a black turtleneck, her phone I hadn't noticed until just now was on her other hand. "Okay, I need details."

I snapped my fingers. "Shirt."

She handed it over.

Without warning, I slipped the jacket off me, ignoring Kathie's loud gasp when she sees my now "topless ensemble."

"Please, tell me you didn't have the little accident in front of the guests."

I tugged the shirt over my head and straightened the fabric across my chest. "Even worse. I just flashed my boobs at your brother in-law."

She lets out a choked laugh. "You flashed your boobs at Matthew?"

"Yes. Do you have shovel? I'd like to bury myself alive right now." I slumped on the edge of the king-size bed and dropped my face to my palm. "This is so embarrassing."

There was silence.

Then Kathie was laughing so hard.

I glare at her. "It makes me feel better that you find this funny. Need I remind you that you shoved your boobs at Cade's face the first time you met?"

She wipes her tears caused by her laughing. "It was different. It was the faintest touch. But you," she laughs, "you made a vivid visual of your boobs in front of Matthew." She clutches her stomach, shaking her head. "Oh, my God. I have to tell the other girls."

"Don't you dare."

She typed quickly on her phone. "And sent."

Groaning, I slumped straight on my back on the bed. Too lost in my mortification to be bothered by the fact that it's my best friend's marital bed. The same bed where they made my godchildren.

There was an aggressive knocking on the door. When Kathie opened it, three women rushed in, their laughter resounding inside the bedroom. Chassie, Julie and Rachel approach me on the bed, creating little bounces on the mattress when they sat down.

"You flashed your boobs at Matthew," Chassie stated between giggles.

I rose to my elbow. "It was an accident! The strings of my halter top snapped."

"Why?"

"It must've been Kyle and Coby."

Kathie nods. "Moral of the day: don't wear halter tops around my babies."

Julie shakes her head. "Man, I will dig a hole and bury myself alive if that happened to me."

"Good to know, Jules. I'll start looking for a shovel."

Rachel giggles next to me. "Maybe it wasn't that bad."

"It wasn't bad. It was the worst. I flashed everything, Rach. Everything."

Her face soured.

"Where's Audrey? I'd love some 'I told you so' right now." I lowered myself back on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

"Puking," Chassie answers.

Kathie sighed sympathetically. "I hate that part of the pregnancy."

I bolted upright. "She is? Where's Miles?"

Chassie patted my knee. "He's with Ethan. Don't worry."

I sighed. "Good."

Ethan always had a big brother sense in him. Always the hero. Always there to save the day. To take the blame when someone shatters a vase. I wished I had one growing up.

I didn't want Miles to be horrified when he sees his always composed mother, head stuck on the toilet bowl.

"How am I going to do the co-parenting thing with Matthew?" I asked more to myself. "I can't even face the man right now."

"You'll be fine. Maybe, you're gonna laugh about this someday." Rachel shrugged.

I snorted. "Someday? Like Never?"

Julie lifted herself off the bed. "You need help burying yourself alive?"

I purse my lips. "Yes, Jules. Bury me alive."

Hi, lovelies! Sorry for the typo. I hope I'll have enough time to edit soon. I know it's been a while. I'm sorry. There's just been so much to deal with these past few weeks. It feels like I have no control over anything at all and it's driving me nuts. Anyways, I hope you're all doing okay. I hope I'll have time to write more chapters this week. Love you! Stay safe. ❤️

 ❤️