(52)Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

I stared at my phone.

Matthew hadn't texted me today, so I've been distracted all morning.

I went to my meeting with Kierra and Jason, guilt gnawing at me. By the end of the meeting, I was trying not to give him the stink eye because he looked like he had nothing to feel guilty about.

I had my suspicions about him even after my boss ushered them to her office to talk about a few things. Taylor Watts can be pretty hands-on when it comes to high-profile weddings. I heard she wanted to convince Kierra that the centerpiece was clashing with the tablecloth.

I drummed my fingers on the table, waiting for a text. I'd be happy with just a 'hey.' Hell, it can be a period for all I care.

My telephone rings, snapping me out of thoughts. I grabbed the phone and greeted Rachel from the reception desk.

"Hey, angel eyes." I chirped.

There was rustling in the background and then came Rachel's voice. "Jess, someone just delivered some brownies. Do you want to have some?"

I grinned. "You were right to call me."

At least I have something else to do while I'm still waiting for his text. I left my office with my phone. I guess I was walking while texting.

Matthew has no idea how much I need a reply right now. And we're still on the second day! I still have to endure at least thirty-three hours without him.

I made it to the reception whole frowning at my phone.

Someone cleared his throat. I looked up and had to do a double-take.

I gaped at the sight of Matthew standing by the reception desk and holding a bouquet of flowers. There was a dopey grin on his face and his eyes warmed when they took me in.

My heart jumped.

I squealed like a schoolgirl, practically sprinted in his direction, threw my arms around his neck, and slid to my tiptoes to kiss him. I'm pretty sure I almost tackled him.

He chuckled, his arms going around my waist.

"I thought you won't be back until tomorrow," I say breathlessly.

"I thought so too," he replies, sounding as breathless as I am.

I looked up at him, still on my tiptoes. "Did you move heaven and earth to be here?"

His dimple poked as he grinned. "You could say that. Or I could say I convinced someone to cover for me, but that would sound less romantic."

I gasp. "You did? What did you do?"

"I just begged my little sister to cover for me."

Knowing Chandra, she probably offered him a deal. She's been trying to get herself noticed by a fellow philanthropist who happens to be her type.