(50) Matthew

I know I've been MIA for quiet a while

I know I've been MIA for quiet a while. I'm really sorry. My family is going through a rough time. Let's just say, for the first time, I truly understand what 'health is wealth' really means. I'm doing the best I can to get myself through it. I missed you so much. ❤️

Matthew set down his phone as soon as he finished a business call. Jessica was patiently waiting in front of him, just across the stacks of pancakes on the table.

They were sitting not far from the glass window and the light streaming in a way that made her hair glow like fire. It emphasized the cute freckles on her cheeks.

It was almost lunchtime, so they decided to get brunch at his brother's restaurant. She was craving pancakes, and they ordered every flavor on the menu. It was like every other Brunch they had before, but there was something different about this.

"Where were we?" He finally asks.

She smiled. "We were talking about when we started liking each other." She slathered her blueberry pancakes with syrup. "Honestly, I can't remember the exact moment I started liking you. It just happened. Next thing I know, I was in denial."

"That's a shame. I remember the exact moment I did."

Her mouth hangs open. "No way."

He shrugged.

She groaned. "Don't make me feel bad!"

He laughed.

"Tell me." She jabbed his foot from under the table.

He shakes his head. "Nope. Not telling."

She purses her lips at him. It was so adorable that he would've given in but his phone pinged.

Saved by the ping.

Jessica turned quiet, expecting another business call.

He checked his phone and was relieved that it was just Cade. He didn't really mind the business calls. But that was before.

Jessica turned to her pancakes as if to give him some privacy. She shot her a questioning glance when he put his phone back down.

"It's just Cade asking me why I didn't meet up with him earlier for a run."

"Oh." There was a hint of recognition on her face, and then a flush of realization rose to her cheeks.

He tamped down a smile. They both know what he's been up to earlier to miss the routine he had with his brother.

He took a sip of his coffee and nodded.

She played with her fork for a bit before setting it down. "I have something to tell you about Harper," she says.

He stiffened.

She shakes her head, a little smile on her face. "No. It's not what you think. You never have to feel bad. Neither of us won't ever have to."