19 - Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

I stepped out of the elevator, ironing the pencil skirt of my sleeveless mini dress with my left hand. The reception area is mostly white with little pops of color on the furniture – not too bold, not too pastel. It was like Taylor Watkins has taken the perspective of a bride-to-be and made it the first things their clientele see when they set foot on the premises. There was also a warm glow from the chandelier that made the ambience so romantic and probably made every woman who walks in want to get married.

The reception desk always has a beautiful arrangements of fresh flowers. Taylor made sure they were always the best. And also, behind the desk is a brown-eyed woman with a warm smile who would look like an angel in a white wedding dress. She already looked like one at the moment. "Hi, Jess. Thank goodness, you're not late."

"It's an honor to not be late for the first time," I jested, doing a little over the top curtsy. "You have any carbs for me?"

"A client just dropped off three dozens of brownies this morning." She grinned, gesturing a finger to the three boxes on the far end of the desk.

"Really?" I squealed.

"The best part is none of the wedding planners plan to ruin their diets." She wagged an eyebrow at me. She hoisted a box off the top and slide it in front of me. "A dozen brownies for not being late."

"Awesome. Who sent these anyways?"

"A grateful bride."

"Cool. I thought we only had the bridezilla ones." I took the box carefully and gave her a wave. "You're making me love my job more, Rach."

She giggles and waved back.

I headed to my office. There was still some tidying up to do, but then again, I don't have much picture frames to prop on my desk. I only have pictures of my friends' kids and that's it. Not that it matters how many picture frames I had on my desk anyways. So long as my equipment are safe, I'd have nothing more to worry about.

I placed the box on my desk next to my shoulder bag and walked around to slump on my swivel chair. I fired up my computer and started digging in with my brownies.

"Knock knock." Harper peeked through the tiny opening of the door. "You're early."

"You make it sound like a miracle." I rolled my eyes.

She strutted in, heels clicking against the floor. "Oh, trust me. It's a miracle." She played with the tip of her wavy, blonde hair. She keeps it in a bun most of the time, but I guess she's feeling a bit more bold today and did an updo instead.

"You want some brownies?"

Harper shakes her head. "No, thanks. Unlike you, I have to keep this in check." She patted her thighs.

"A little curve can't hurt."

"Yeah, I wish my dates think the same way." She snorted, leaning against my desk and folding her arms over her chest.