22 - Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

I still have room for first times. I definitely have room for long distance running. At exactly 8:00 PM, Matthew and I left the house. Thank heavens, I packed my hot pink sports bra! I felt ridiculous when I shoved it between a pair of leather pants and denim shorts, but it turns out to be my last-minute salvation.

Andrei and Miles are upstairs in his bedroom, waiting for Audrey's call. Hopefully my attempt for an athletic activity to be with Matthew won't reach my besties' radar, but with the teasing looks Andrei kept giving me, I'd say I have one percent chance.

"Are you sure about this?" Matthew asks as he closes the front door behind him.

Nope.

"Of course. I'm absolutely sure about this." I stretched here and there, hoping I'd look like I've done this so many times before.

We walked side by side. I got confused when we didn't go to the car to drive to the gym where we'll supposedly run on a treadmill. When we got on the road, I assumed we were probably going for a run around the neighborhood.

But I don't think we were.

I cleared my throat. "So, we're going to run around the neighborhood?"

"No. I prefer the park."

I nodded. "We're going to walk all the way there? Great. A little warm up."

He smiles. Not his default 'golden-hearted smile' one but the kind that makes his eyes sparkle and his dimple more defined.

Cutest thing ever.

"With whom do you usually, you know, run?"

He shrugged. "Cade. We meet up at the park sometimes."

"Anyone else other than your brother?"

He shakes his head.

Damn.

For a guy who's probably the nicest person alive, he has zero relationships going on other than with his siblings. Even when he mostly spends his philanthropic life abroad being a godsend and everything, there's surely at least one person – not blood-related – he loves to hang out with when he's not out there saving the world with his golden heart. There should be. Otherwise, he must be living a lonely life.

"How about you? Anyone special you exercise with?"

I blink, surprised that I wasn't the only one randomly asking questions. "Oh, I don't think I have anyone. I mean, I don't exercise a lot."

His head leaned to one side. "I never pegged you as someone who runs out of company."

"It's not the lack of company. It's more like a lack of a good company. All the good ones are either married or hanging out with a boyfriend."