23 - Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

The walk home was probably a little less awkward. Because I had food to fill my mouth with the whole way back which means I miraculously was able to shut up. And that never happens. Unless I was stuffing my face. 

I tried to eat like a dainty little lady. Tried soooo hard not to embarrass myself in front of Mr. Prim and Proper who's probably thinking I'm the messiest eater he's ever seen – yes, and that's including our godchildren. He had to hand me the bottle of water a few times because I almost choke several times.

"So, how are the burgers?" He finally asks when he sees me shoving the final piece of burger to my mouth.

"They're all great. Really great," I answered, swallowing the food before digging into the "special" fries.

He nods. "You need water?"

"Nope." I pop a couple of fries and added another. Then another before swallowing them all down.

"Okay. Just say when."

I nodded, snagging more fries to my mouth.

"What are your plans this weekend?"

My eyebrows winged up. "Nothing much. Why?"

"I want to take Miles to the beach."

"Oh. Sure," I replied although I still have no idea why me not having plans on the weekend is potentially helpful to his plans.

"You have any suggestions?"

"Me?" I hold back a cough.

He handed me the bottle of water which I took and gulped down. "I think I know a few places. Some of them are private which is better than other beaches in town that are crammed with tourists right now." I cleared my throat, feeling a discomfort in my throat.

"Where do you want to go?"

Oh.

Oh.

We're taking Miles to his crush's birthday party together. And now we're going on a weekend getaway together. Two weeks ago, it would've been a terrible idea – the last few days of my life where I didn't know I'd get to know this guy.

"I'm coming with you guys?"

There was the faintest flush in his cheeks before he shook if off with an embarrassed smile. "Yeah. I figured it will be more fun if we all go together. It's still just an invitation though. You can turn it down. I won't mind."

I rubbed my eyes which started to water all of a sudden. The slight uncomfortable feeling in my windpipe is escalating into something much worse. "No. I'm with you guys," I answered, surprised that it almost came out like a wheeze.

Matthew led me across the paved path toward Audrey and Vren's front door. Which was a good thing because my eyes were getting so much watery by the minute.

"Are you okay?"

I cleared my throat, but this time I couldn't shake it off any longer. "I'm fine. I think these so called "special" fries is not so special after all." I struggle to get the words out.

"Wait. The fries?"

I wheezed, my throat closing up. "Think I'm having an allergic reaction," I croaked.

He stopped walking and cupped my right elbow, blue eyes skimming my face. "Jessica, the fries were special because they were fried in peanut oil. Are you allergic to peanuts?"

I stiffened.

"Well, shit, I am," I say between coughs.

"What? Crap."

"Inhaler. Nightstand," I managed to say through a wheeze. Every breath turned out to be a challenge now. I grabbed onto his shirt like I was literally grabbing the air out of him.

He nods with urgency. "Stay here, okay?" He gently laid me down so I was sitting on the doorstep before he rushed his way in to the house. And then came right back like a lightning bolt. "Found it."

I took the inhaler and took a really huge puff before inhaling another one shortly after. My constricting windpipe started to relax within thirty seconds. I keep taking long, deep breaths like my grandmother taught me.

"Is it working? Are you okay?" Matthew asks worriedly.

I nodded, not quite ready to speak yet.

He lets out a long breath. As if he's been struggling to take in that breath like I did a while ago.

"Stay right here, okay?" Matthew says softly.

I nodded again.

When he came back, he brought a glass of water and a blanket which he draped over my shoulders.

"Thank you," I rasped. I took a small sip of water.

He sat next to me. "Are you sure you're okay now? Do you need anything?"

"Nope. All good." I smiled, gaining back my voice. "Thank you. You came in and out of the house like     The Flash."

He chuckled. "You should really be careful next time."

"Yeah. I didn't see there was something about peanut oil. I think it was literally on the menu but I still didn't see it."

"Are you really sure you don't need anything?"

I shake my head. "You've done enough heroic stuff," I kid.

He stared at me, waiting still.

"Seriously, I'm fine. We better go back inside now."

He didn't move.

"Oh, my freakin' god. Come on. I promise my legs work." I couldn't help the laugh that came out.

Heya, lovelies! I couldn't upload this chapter yesterday so I'm updating today instead. Have a really nice day! Press that star if you liked the chapter. XOXO

 XOXO