25 - Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

Breakfast upgraded to a very satisfying brunch at Andrei's restaurant. Andrei invited us – his treat, by the way. He wanted to hang out with Miles and since Matthew and I have nothing going on at the moment, we tagged along. Miles is in the kitchen, probably folding napkins with Andrei's sous-chef. With the thought of France, I snuck in a quick text about my grandmother's party.

"Are you sure there is nothing I could do as a token of appreciation?" I placed my fork down and asked for a hundredth time now.

Matthew looked patiently as ever. "You already said 'thank you.' That was more than enough."

I did. Like a thousand times already.

"Are you sure?"

He nods. "Sure."

"No little voices of doubt in your head saying, "damn. I should've asked for that corn dog on our way over here." I know I would."

He chuckles, giving me a dimpled little smile. "I'm sure. Why would I want a corn dog?"

"Uh, for eating, maybe? Or you can just hold it the rest of the day like a trophy."

He chuckles again. "Okay. I'll be needing one later."

I narrowed my eyes playfully. "For a trophy?"

"For eating," he answers, playing along. "You should get one too. As a reward."

I arched a brow.

"For reeling your clients back in," he continues, that little dimple poking at his cheek.

I feigned a scandalous gasp. "How dare you? You get all the freakin' credit. That was all you. Never discredit yourself. Ever."

Matthew holds his hand up as if in defeat.

I turn my attention to my food. He may have had enough of me so I might as well shut up.

"So," he clears her throat, "what do you usually do to have fun?"

I lost my grip on my fork, surprised that he actually wanted to have a conversation with me. I stare at him, amused. "I can't believe you asked me that."

"Why?" He tilted his head to one side. So adorably confused.

"Well, I rarely get asked that. Mostly because people know what I do to have fun, they've seen me in every nightclub in town, and believe me I was never sober."

"People see what they see regardless of the truth. So, what do you do for fun?"

I felt my jaw hang just for a second. "That was pretty deep," I kidded.

He smiled.

I put my fork down. "Well, what I do for fun is hang out with my godchildren. And you know, my job. Oh, and I'd love to dabble with nature photography. It's turning out to be this new hobby of mine."