40 - Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

Miles ran like an arrow from a bow—the target being his mother's arms. Audrey held him as tightly as he was holding onto her. Vren smiled and wrapped his arms around Audrey, hugging Miles in the process.

They stayed in their little bubble for a couple more seconds before the couple realized there was a handful of people on their porch waving at them like they'd been gone a year. Not to mention there was a huge banner with the words 'Welcome Home, Newlyweds!'

Margaret's idea. Apparently, the Parkinsons haven't heard of a simple celebration. The whole family is here. Add in the family's closest friends (The Foresters and Lewises)—it's definitely not a small party.

Audrey was a little dumbfounded. Vren, however, looked like he'd seen it coming.

A hundred welcome hugs later, I've had a couple of iced tea, a slice of apple pie, and three of Margaret's strawberry tarts.

I looked around and found Matthew staring from across the swimming pool. There was a barrette on the left side of his head, which means Georgina is close by.

She's already made it to my side of the pool. I have bunny ears over my head, her grandmothers have ladybug hairpins, and Kathie, Chassie, Starlet, and Chandra have sparkly eyeshadows.

Everyone else in the garden has fluffy headbands, cute hairpins, colorful barrettes, pastel eyeshadows, and glittery lipstick.

Matthew is lucky enough not to get the lipstick and eyeshadows. However, now that I think about it, it would just make him more adorable.

Someone clears his throat from behind me. I couldn't take my eyes off Matthew, though. Even more so when he started playing catch with Ethan, Kyle, Coby, and Miles.

"He's always been great with kids." Nicholas' was already standing beside me.

I turned to him and winced. "Oh, God." The words spurted out before I could stop them.

Turns out, Matthew's father isn't so lucky. He got both the pastel eyeshadow and the glittery lipstick. He should've stayed on one side of the pool. By the looks of it, Georgie must've beautified him twice.

Nicholas chuckles. "You gotta love Georgina."

I tried not to laugh. "If it's any consolation, you look pretty."

"He does, right?" This came from Margaret whom I didn't notice joined us.

I let out a soft laugh and turned my attention back to Matthew. The twins were crawling at him trying to reach the ball and Coby was clearly ahead of Kyle. He was on Matthew's stomach while Coby was still on his hip.

Ethan was laughing so hard that he was turning red.

Matthew must've felt that I was staring because we met eyes. For a second, I felt like I'd been caught staring by a high school crush because my cheeks just burned.