Christmas Day

A/N: this chapter was such a pain!! Years 1-3 are gonna be hard because almost nothing happens so I literally have to create drama and tension by looking at Pure-blood society and the expectations of being a pure-blood. Wish Rowling gave us more on this.
I'm surprised father hasn't cursed you, Lucius," Dawn said as Dobby brought tea into the drawing room. It was Christmas morning and the Crabbes, Goyle, and Malfoys were spending it together in the manor. "Threatening him while Narcissa attacks her father... bold move."

"They need to realize they no longer have power," Lucius replied firmly, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "Even if Cygnus is from the prestigious ancient and most noble house of Black, he has no right to continue to assert power over her. Shame he didn't flinch."

"I doubt much can make my father flinch," Narcissa admitted taking a sip of her tea. "He found... intricate forms of punishment..."

"Still would've been a sight to see," Eileen chuckled. "Are they still trying to pressure you into having more children?"

Narcissa glanced up at her husband, indicating that he should take the lead on that subject. "They can pressure us all they want," he said carefully; his thumb gently caressing Narcissa's arm. "But they won't dictate the marriage bed."

"Good to hear," Dawn smiled. "Speaking of marriages, I've heard Draco fancies that Parkinson girl."

"As long as he gets with a pure-blood," Lucius said, glancing at Narcissa. "Or a third generation half-blood, we won't interfere."

"I forget you Malfoys allow half-bloods into the family," Narcissa commented, sipping her tea.

"Well," Eileen pointed out lightly. "You can't say that the Black family desperation of marrying first and second cousins has paid off very well."

"Not going to argue that," Narcissa agreed. "Although one could argue that all of the sacred 28 are cousins. Distant of course, but cousins nonetheless."

"Grandpa!" Draco called a moment, racing to his grandparent.

"Draco," Abraxas chastised, causing Narcissa to tense a bit. "Lords do not run. We walk proudly."

"In other words strut," Eileen murmured, earning a chuckle from the rest of the group.

"I see my children are together," Abraxas observed as he entered the room. "What are you six conspiring about?"

"Your demise," Eileen mouthed, quickly composing herself as he came into view.

"Nothing," Dawn smiled up at her father. "We've just heard some rather interesting gossip."

"Hopefully it's about arranging a suitable marriage for your children— particularly Draco."

Narcissa gently put her cup down and leaned into Lucius, his hand gently clasping hers. They had agreed to allow the two patriarchs over for family gatherings; however, if they attempted to be domineering, they would throw them out.

"Father," Eileen pointed out.  "we're not in the fifties anymore. Our children are allowed to marry anyone from the pure-blood families... or at least third generation half-blood."

Abraxas sniffed and immediately went to the liquor cabinet to pour himself a scotch. "A bit early for a drink, isn't Father?" Dawn asked as her house elf brought over her fussy tot.

"When you reach my age, Dawn," Abraxas countered. "Anytime is good for a drink."

There was a loud chirp as an owl landed by the windowsill. "Post on Christmas?" Lucius asked curiously, getting up from the couch. "Narcissa, isn't this Mercury?"