Knockturn alley

August 4th, 1992

"Nine raids!" Lucius exclaimed as he tossed the paper into the fire. "Nine blasted raids last night!"

"Draco," Narcissa said calmly, glancing at her son as her husband stared irritably into the fireplace. "Go practice your spell on the elf."

Draco nodded, running off to find Dobby. "Dobby!" Draco called.

"I agree," she began, slowly walking up behind him; her arms slowly wrapping around his torso as she leaned her head against him; hoping this would calm him down a bit. "It's excessive. If Muggles are daft enough to buy magical objects, why should we interfere when they suffer the consequences." Lucius sighed, placing his hand over hers, remaining silent. "Are you worried about them finding the Vaults?"

"I'm more worried about our property rights," Lucius sighed, tugging on her hand slightly. Narcissa slid around in a bit of a side-hug; his arm wrapping around her shoulder as he pulled her close. "Especially since we're not using the artefacts, why should they care if we have them? Some of what's in there are heirlooms, others are things I legally bought."

"You and I both know it's politics and diplomacy," she murmured. "They want to keep a good relationship with the muggle world; why, I don't know. After centuries of persecuting us, why should we cater to their needs?"

Lucius smiled, kissing her head in gratitude. He still seemed concerned about something, though. "I'm probably going to get rid of a few things, though. Just to keep suspicion off of us."

"Like what?"

"The Diary and a few poisons," Lucius said softly.

"The Diary the Dark Lord gave you?" she gasped, her eyes widening a bit. "Is that wise?"

"The Dark Lord is dead and gone," he murmured reassuringly. "We don't need it, anymore. There's no point in keeping it."

Narcissa sighed, averting her eyes. "You know best," she murmured softly, trying to force a smile on her face.

"Everything's going to be alright," he said, cupping her jaw, before placing a gentle kiss on her cheek. "You'll see."

௹௹௹

August 19th, 1992

A couple of weeks later, Draco's school list came about and the Malfoy's were in Diagon Alley. "It's mostly books," Narcissa noted as she looked at the list. Her lip twisted slightly as she saw the names of the authors. "Darling, who is the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher this year?"

"Someone named Lockhart," Lucius sneered. "Some sort of Wizard extraordinaire, or so he claims. He's a first generation half-blood from my understanding."

"Well he better have some experience," Narcissa grumbled. "It'll be embarassing for Dumbledore otherwise." Her lip twisted up a bit as she glanced at Lucius. "Maybe he'll get sacked because of it."

"Professors from that class have been disappearing every year since we were in school," Lucius reminded her, slipping his hand into hers as they walked further into the alley. "It won't be enough for him to be sacked."

"Isn't Lockhart nominated for most charming smile?" Narcissa asked a moment later.

"Oh, I'm sure he was," Lucius smirked, looking down at his wife teasingly. "Planning on leaving me for the half-blood?"

"Never, darling," Narcissa replied, looking up at him. "You're stuck with me for all of eternity."

"Please don't start snogging!" Draco groaned. Lucius knew he was rolling his eyes. Both parents chuckled, stopping just before reaching Flourish and Blotts. The store wasn't ready to open, yet. Apparently, they were setting up for Lockheart's book signing.