Funeral

July 30th, 1992

There was a chill in the air, mostly from the fresh rain that had fallen earlier that morning, as the Malfoys laid dirt over the casket containing Cygnus Black III. Draco stood tall in front of his father, who was also wearing a black suit; while the matriarch wore a more traditional black dress and short veil that went down to her shoulders. Some words in memorium were uttered and a lone reporter from the Daily Prophet prompted questions to Lucius. "Do you need a few moments?" Lucius asked, glaring at the reporter who was now inquiring to their son.

"I would appreciate that," Narcissa murmured, smiling at her husband through the thin veil. Lucius returned the smile, placing his hand on her cheek; then turned and walked toward Draco. When they had disappeared out of her sight, she took out her father's wand, dropping it into the pile of dirt, and set it ablaze. "I hope you rot in Hell, you bastard." She grumbled, watching the fire destroy the yew wand.

"You always were the quiet, spiteful one," a voice said behind her. Narcissa whirled, raising her wand, only to hesitate. For the briefest of moments she thought she was looking at Bellatrix, that perhaps they had let her out of Azkaban so she could be with her sister in "mourning". However, the hair was lighter than Bellatrix's, and the woman looked kinder.

"Droma..." Narcissa whispered, her wand lowering without even realizing it as she stood there stunned. How long has it been since we've seen each other?  she thought. The last time she had seen Andromeda, she was sixteen and was about to head to Hogwarts; it wasn't until after she had started her sixth year, that Andromeda had married the mudblood; leaving her to deal with her parents, namely their father when she came back on holidays.

"Hello, Cissy," Andromeda nodded, taking another step forward. "It's been a long time..." Common sense suddenly returned to Narcissa, and she looked over her shoulder to make sure they were alone. "Nobody will see us," Andromeda stated, as if reading her thoughts. "I set up a concealment charm before revealing myself to you."

"What are you doing here?" Narcissa demanded coldly, her eyes narrowing slightly.

"Can't a sister see her sister during a time of... bereavement?" Andromeda asked, glancing at the dying embers of the wand. "Didn't even bury it with him. Cold."

"One has to be to put up with him," Narcissa growled, trying to suppress the emotions that were threatening to overwhelm her. "And last I checked, you were infamously disowned... which makes it even more curious on why you are here; and what makes you think I still consider a sister after the scandal you pulled?"

"That's fair," Andromeda began slowly, reaching out her hand to her sister. "Cissy, I know I hurt you when I left—"

"You did more than just hurt me, Andromeda," Narcissa cut in icily, taking a step back. "You left me with him."

"I know..." Andromeda said softly. "That is my deepest regret in my life. I know I was being selfish, but I had to get away from there, Cissy—"

"Do you know what he told me would happen if I even remotely thought about contacting you?" Narcissa interrupted, glaring at her. "Do you know what he said he would do if I so much as mentioned your name in any manner?"

Andromeda shook her head slowly.

Narcissa took a slow deep breath, fighting past the memory of the night that plagued her for years. She still could hear his words ringing through her head, the night she had come home for Christmas holiday; and, for the briefest of moments, she had thought that Andromeda was still at home, and used the childhood nickname.  "He said he would call Bellatrix and use her contacts to pass me around the Death Eaters; as if I were nothing more to him than a woman of the night."