Quidditch Surprise

September 1st, 1992

"I can't believe you bought the entire team Nimbus 2001's," Narcissa grumbled as they walked toward the fields for their annual match. "And you complain and say I spoil him."

"How else was I to convince the team to let him be their new seeker?" Lucius asked.

"Let him try out," Narcissa pointed out, shaking her head. "You just want to continue to stoke a rivalry between our son and that Potter boy."

"No," Lucius countered stubbornly. "I'm giving our son opportunities he may not otherwise have."

Narcissa shook her head, gently resting it briefly against his shoulder. "Did you notice how strange Dobby was acting when we were on the platform. He seemed rather proud of something."

"The elf is always acting strange to me, Narcissa," Lucius replied. "Perhaps he needs to put his hands on the iron to remind him of his place."

"You know how I feel about suggestions like that," Narcissa gently chastised, only to stop short when she saw who was replacing one of their Beaters. "Carrow."

Lucius stopped as well, glowering as the woman approached them. "You looked surprised to see me," Megaera said cheerily, stopping a few feet from the couple. Lucius adjusted a bit, stepping slightly in front of Narcissa. "Didn't you know I was replacing Dawn Crabbe?"

"I would've sworn I had asked Alecto to take her place," Narcissa replied coldly.

"So you did," Megaera confirmed. "However, you should know Alecto doesn't play Quidditch. Never cared much for it; neither has Amycus, but we needn't worry about him replacing someone since all of our members are here."

Narcissa looked up at Lucius hesitantly. "It's too late to ask anyone else," she whispered reluctantly. "We need a beater... at least at the start of the match." Lucius glanced back at her, brushing his knuckles against her cheek, before planting a kiss there.

"Go on ahead, talk to Eileen for a bit," he whispered, continuing to glare at Carrow. Narcissa nodded, walking ahead; while Lucius continued to glare at Carrow. "I assume you know your job as Beater is to protect my wife and the rest of your team."

"I'm not a first-year, Lucius," Megaera chuckled, sidling up to him. "I know what my job is."

"Yes," he said, shoving her away from him, and walking forward. Dobby was now on the pitch with the box of balls. He placed a good luck kiss on his wife's cheek before going to his starting position.

௹௹௹

As the Quaffle went up, Lucius and Narcissa quickly went to their respective positions on the pitch. Eileen immediately clashed with her husband and brother-in-law; trying to knock them out with strong swings. Carrow lazily circled the field, barely aiming with every swing she took. The Quidditch Field was soon alive with spells and balls flying everywhere, but Narcissa was too busy looking for the blasted Snitch; occasionally raising her wand to block any spells that strayed toward her. She caught sight of her husband, who was smirking away when his team scored another ten points. The ladies once again got stuck with the elf, offered up by Nott as his wife wasn't well enough to partake in the game— as far as Narcissa was aware, she was close to passing. Why Nott wasn't by her side right now was beyond her comprehension.

"Lost your keeper again?" Lucius sneered, coming up beside her.

"Oh, hush," Narcissa snarled, scanning the field once more for the snitch. "I'll cobb you just out of spite, if you keep up your cocky attitude."

"Such a shame we never take penalties seriously."

Narcissa glowered at him for a moment, before returning to her duty of scanning for the Snitch. The Ladies learned from last year, and quickly stepped up their game with power plays and shuffles with the quaffle to try and keep up with the men. The only way for them to win right now, was for Narcissa to get the snitch and end the game.