Whispers

June 5th, 1992

"Have you sent Draco is gift yet, darling?" Lucius asked as he entered the dining room. Narcissa was standing by the window with a couple of letters in her hand; Mercury flying off with Draco's gift. He placed a kiss on her cheek, gaining a smile as she walked to the table where breakfast was waiting for them.

"Just did," Narcissa replied, frowning a bit as she sat down. "We've got another letter from Severus."

"You want me to read it?" he asked quietly, placing his hand on hers; she seemed to be struggling about which letter to open up first.

She nodded, picking up the letter from Draco and opening it. Lucius took the letter from Severus, and used is wand to open it.

Dear Lucius,

We need to speak tonight. I'm sure by now Draco has informed you about the incident at Hogwarts involving the Potter boy. Meet me at Spinner's End at seven o'clock, tonight.

-Severus

Lucius was confused by the letter, until Narcissa spoke. "The Potter Boy is in the Hospital Wing!" She exclaimed, continuing to read Draco's letter. "He was found in the catacombs of the castle... in the morning." She shook her head. "Rumors are saying..." Her voice trailed off and she seemed to grow even paler than usual. Lucius hurried over to her side, kneeling down as he placed a hand on her wrist. Lucius gently took the letter from her hands.

Dear Mother and Father,

I have amazing news! Potter's in the Hospital Wing! Not dead, unfortunately, but unconscious. There's been a mysterious death, though. Our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher  was found dead close to Potter's body. I've heard some say it was the work of the Dark Lord, and that his body was nothing but dust and ash. Good riddance I should say. He was a terrible teacher. Always stuttering and stammering. We barely learned anything useful. Anyway, no one knows when Potter will be back, but I hear his room is full of treats and gifts for when he does finally wake up.

I'll write as soon as I know more.

Love, Draco.

Putting down the letter, Lucius stood up and pulled her into his arms. "It's only rumors, 'Cissa," he murmured, gently; suppressing his own conflicting emotions. He stayed that way for several moments, kissing her head. He could feel her body begin to tremble, knowing her anxieties were once again taking over. "Dobby," he called. The elf appeared a moment later. "Bring Lady Malfoy Peppermint and Lavender tea and bring it to the Parlor."

"Yes, Master Lucius," Dobby replied, disappearing a moment later.

"Come, darling," Lucius murmured, keeping an arm wrapped around her shoulder, as he took her hand and guided her out of the room. Once she was seated, he sat down beside her, taking her hand into his. "Draco's fine, Flower. He's safe, no harm has come to him."

"What did Severus want?" she asked, trying to compose herself as the elf appeared with the tea. She took it gratefully, sipping her the heart liquid. The elf then disappeared, leaving the couple alone.

"He wants me to meet him at Spinner's End," he said softly. "I'm assuming he's also invited Goyle, Crabbe, and Nott, since their children would've heard of what happened as well."

"Why hasn't the Dark Mark returned?" she whispered, her voice trembling a bit as she took another sip. "If he's truly back, and at the school, why hasn't he notified anyone?"