Raid

December 18th, 1992

"Morning, darling," Narcissa murmured as Lucius leaned down to kiss her cheek, before sitting down next to her for their usual morning breakfast. Christmas was just around the corner, but since Draco had wanted to stay at the castle this year, for whatever reason, the couple decided to have a quiet and cozy Christmas together; as well as the usual duels they hosted during the Christmas season. The manor was decorated, thanks to Narcissa's magic touch and her love of festivities. "You've got a letter from Severus."

"Probably inquiring about the duels this year since Draco's wanting to stay at the school," Lucius picking up the envelope as Narcissa opened the letter from Draco. "What news does Draco have for today?"

"He says there was a dueling club last night," she said, reading the contents of the letter, beaming proudly for a moment. "Severus pitted him against Potter, and though there was no official winner, Draco used the snake summoning charm at Severus's suggestion...."

Her voice trailed off and she frowned. Lucius looked over at her curiously. "Darling?"

"He says before Severus vanished the snake, Potter spoke in Parseltongue..."

"Impossible," Lucius gasped, glancing down at the letter from Severus. He was beginning to wonder if that's why the Severus was writing to him; then he looked up at his wife. "Isn't it?"

"All I know is," Narcissa murmured. "Great-aunt Dorea married Charlus Potter and wasn't burned off the tapestry. As far as I'm aware they had a son, but no one knows what happened to him."

"Well the Blacks have been dropping like flies lately," Lucius pointed out; earning a scowl from Narcissa.

"Watch it, Malfoy," Narcissa grumbled, putting some marmalade on a crumpet.  She frowned as they heard the reverberating scream of the gate. "Are we expecting anyone?" she asked curiously.

"No," Lucius replied, standing up and apparating to the gate. Narcissa was close behind him; and he scowled a bit as he saw Kingsley Shacklebolt, Arthur Weasley, and someone he didn't recognize. "Seems the Ministry has decided to come calling, darling," he murmured.

"To what do we owe this pleasure?" Narcissa asked politely as she reached the gate; although she had immediately turned cold at the inconvenience.

"We're here to search the grounds," Arthur replied evenly. "Routine, I assure you, Mrs. Malfoy."

"I presume you have a warrant?" She demanded. "Because if you don't procure it, you will not be doing any searching of the sort."

Arthur pulled out the warrant and handed it to Narcissa through the gate. She opened it, glancing through it before passing it to Lucius. "It's all perfectly legal, Lucius."

Lucius's lip curled a bit, but he nodded at Narcissa waved her wand to let them into the grounds. They followed the aurors up the drive, Lucius wrapping his arms around her shoulder, to try and help her relax. While they never kept anything in the gardens, they were both particularly protective of the Secret Garden.

"Shacklebolt!" The auror with a bubble-gum pink hair called as she wandered into the alcove that was the garden.

"What do you see, Nymphadora?" Shacklebolt asked teasingly, walking over into the alcove.

"I've told you," she retorted; her bright pink hair becoming a fiery red. "Don't call me Nymphadora!"

"Metamorphagus?" Lucius murmured following them into the alcove; his hand tightening a bit on Narcissa's shoulders; to help restrain her. The last thing they needed was rumors that his wife attacked aurors; when in reality she didn't want anyone near the Christmas Roses.