Chapter 58

Billie: We went out into the garden in silence, and I sat on the garden couch.I smiled and patted the seat next to me invitingly.Adie looked depressed and sat down next to me.I quickly realized that she wasn't doing very well.The argument with Charlie had hurt her very much.If I were honest, it made me jealous that Charlie meant so much to her. But I also knew that a part of her loved me as well... "How are you?" I asked thoughtfully. Adie didn't really respond to my question. Her gaze kept wandering back to the house. "Adie? It's all fine, little one... he's going to be fine." I would have loved to hug her, but I noticed that she was kinda defensive. I knew her too well... so I did know that would be too much at the moment. Gently I put my hand on hers, and she pulled it away in a second... "are you mad at me? Please say something..." I begged. Her rejection felt like a stab in the heart. "Adie I didn't wanted any of that... 10 years ago I swore to leave you alone. I love you and have respected that you don't want to have anything to do with this life... with me, but..." "Then what the hell are you doing here?" Adie reproachfully interrupted me. Somehow I had imagined this conversation to be different... or was it my ego? That imagined that she still loved me? I did know the anger was speaking out of her, but it did hurt... she was angry about Charlie. She knew that she did hurt him. That was tearing her apart. "Adie, Mike & Brian drove here without my knowledge. When I found out about this, I immediately followed them and tried to stop them. Adie, I would never hurt you. I only wish the best for you..." I said sadly. Adie turned away and looked at the house again... I noticed how she tried to suppress a sob. "He means a lot to you, doesn't he? Do you... lo, lo... love him?" I asked hesitantly and immediately regretted it. I didn't really want to know the answer. Because I did already know it... it was clear that she loved Charlie. But I didn't want to hear it from her mouth as this would make everything real. Adie turned around, her eyes were full of tears. She was still mentally with him... She looked me deep in the eyes with a painful expression and said..."