CHAPTER 2

Two days later, Osman Bey and Gunduz Bey had put Melike in charge of protecting the tribe; after giving her orders to the armed Alps who were left behind and making sure that all entrances to the tribe were heavily guarded, she sat with Bala Hatun and Gonca Hatun in the marquee. She and Bala both wanted to attend the battle, but Osman had already given Melike her orders and Bala was not allowed as she was still wounded- though she was rarely allowed to, anyway. It was unfortunate, but at least Gonca too, stayed behind to keep them company.

"They had only two days to prepare," said Bala with concern in her eyes, as Melike entered the marquee after patrolling the tribe a while and sitting down next to her. "And barely a few dozen Alps. Do you think they will be successful?" "They are all our finest warriors," said Melike confidently. "I'm sure they will...they'll save Boran and Ahmet and the other prisoners, InshaAllah." "InshaAllah," said Bala and Gonca. "Oh, I hope Boran Alp is alright," said Gonca aloud, before she could stop herself, and she blushed when Bala and Melike immediately gave her a look. "I'm sure you do," said Bala, smirking. "Has he not asked you to marry him yet?" "Ah, be quiet Bala," groaned Gonca, making Melike laugh. "No worries, Gonca, I would be happy to have you as my sister in law," she said gleefully. "We are all already sisters, anyway." "We are," said Gonca grudgingly, sparing a playful glare for Bala. "Of course we are," said Bala, patting Gonca's hand. "But I do wish that Aygul and Selcan Ana were here with us."

Selcan Hatun had stolen away with Aygul almost immediately after the victory at Kulucahisar. They had a reason Selcan had only entrusted to the three young women- it turned out that Aygul had fallen pregnant with Alisar's child, which was taking an effect on her mentality and sanity, amidst all the trauma she was experiencing within a short period of time. Selcan had taken her to the mountains to heal her mind and physique after she would give birth, by isolation, spiritual rejuvenation and physical training. Bala, Gonca and Melike had often snuck away from the tribe- unbeknownst to anyone else in the tribe, including Osman, Boran and Goktug- to assist Selcan whenever she sent word. Bala helped with coaxing Aygul at times where her trauma would visit her, Gonca assisted with herbal remedies whilst Melike would teach her how to fight along with Selcan. It had gotten a little intense, once, due to one of Aygul's meltdowns; Melike had accidentally caused her to have a scar across her left eyebrow in the heat of defending herself- which was not minded much, for they all thought she looked rather dashing and more warrior-like.

However the three had not visited for a while, neither did they have word from Selcan. They assumed that Aygul had already given birth, and perhaps Selcan wanted her to herself to teach her how to be a mother. "Poor Aygul," said Melike sadly. "She had a rough time. I hope she is healed by now." "Allah forbid she isn't," said Bala. "Who knows what Hazal Hatun would do..." "Do not worry too much about her and Dundar Bey for now, they haven't misbehaved," said Gonca airily. "But we still ought to be careful. Don't trust them." "You already trust no one, Gonca," teased Melike. Gonca shot her another glare, and anyone else would have wondered why Melike did not recoil. It was only because of how long they had been together that both she and Bala were used to Gonca's striking glare- anyone else would probably have fled, for her looks did indeed seem that they could kill. Boran himself often spoke of how secretly terrified he was of Gonca's infamous glare, and Melike was dying to tell her- though of course, she did not, for the sake of her brother's humility.

"Savci Bey recently sent word," said Bala. "He's returning soon." "Is he now?" asked Melike. "That's uplifting." "What is Savci Bey like?" asked Gonca. "We have not yet met him." "He was a scholar," remembered Melike. "Or was raised as such. He has not been in the tribe since he brought his son Bayhoca to be educated, and that was many years ago already. He may have changed." "He is married?" asked Bala. "Yes, to a Byzantine girl from Karacahisar," said Melike. "Lena, I think. She was alright, I quite liked her."