CHAPTER 29

A/N: Surpriseeee

"Damn that awful woman," snarled Aygul.

"Aygul, keep your voice down," hissed Melike, looking around to see people staring at them. "Please do not cause a scene." "Do not cause a scene? Oh, I would love to cause a scene for Hazal," said Aygul nastily. "If it would rip her reputation to shreds, I would do it with pleasure, Melike." Melike sighed, and wiped her face with her hand.

Earlier that day, Hazal Hatun had called upon the Hatuns of the tribe to come to her tent to give Targun their gifts and well-wishes for the wedding. Selcan Hatun, Gonca Hatun and Lena Hatun had been there too along with Melike and Aygul, as Bala Hatun herself had attended out of courtesy- and because she was after all, given the responsibility to mentor and look after Targun before she was to be wedded to Osman. Hazal and Lena- especially Hazal- had put in quite an effort for Targun, to make sure that everything would be 'perfect' for her and Osman Bey's wedding. It was clear that they were doing so just to spite Bala, and hurt her feelings. But Bala never winced once in front of them, and only smiled her pretty smile as if she were the one getting married.

Upon Selcan's request, Melike had to accompany Aygul out of the tent early, as it was obvious that the longer the girl stayed in Hazal's presence, the antsier she got. Even if the comments were not aimed at her, Aygul's stepmother would constantly trigger her nerves with nearly every word that came out of her mouth. Selcan had indicated to Melike during the middle of breakfast that it was time to bring Aygul out for some air, and Melike did just that, and finished her meal with her friend in her and Goktug's tent.

"All we can do is pray that Hazal Hatun learns some sense," she said to Aygul, as Aygul helped her restock the grains, herbs and rice in the rack outside of the tent. "And some manners." Aygul scoffed.

"Hazal Hatun will learn manners only when pigs fly, Melike," she said. "Or when she dies- but then again, that'd be too late." Melike could not stifle an amused chortle, and Aygul smirked- but then, her face fell when something caught her eye.

"Look," she said.

She indicated to something behind Melike with a jut of her head, and Melike turned around to see a group of women crowding around Targun Hatun.

"Kuman Turks are not Muslim, are they?" asked one woman. "Er, no, they are not," said Targun. She looked rather embarrassed by all the attention.

"Will you become a Muslim once you get married to Osman Bey?" asked another woman, and before Targun could open her mouth to answer, someone else cut across her. "Of course she will!" that woman said. "Of course she will be a Muslim first, then she will marry Osman Bey." "Oh, is that how it is supposed to be?" asked Targun, and they all nodded. "Right then, I...I will do so. For the marriage, I will."

"Tchah!" tutted Aygul looking away in disgust. "Hush, Aygul!" scolded Melike. "What did I tell you-"

"Look at them," Aygul ignored what Melike said. "Look at them. Has Bala dissolved into thin air? They act as though this is Osman Bey's first marriage. A shame it is, that they disregard her so." Though Melike was happy that Aygul had put behind her previous conflict with Bala and replaced it with love, friendship and respect, she was reproachful of the way Aygul was speaking so blatantly about her opinions. Deep down she agreed, but for Bala's sake they had to control themselves to not cause trouble for her.

"No, Bala has not dissolved into thin air, Aygul," said Melike firmly. "So we must behave ourselves around Targun, and around Hazal Hatun and Lena Hatun too- as much as we disapprove of them. For Bala's sake we must. We cannot cause her any extra trouble, Aygul." Aygul went quiet at Melike's words, and finally nodded grudgingly. "Fine," she said. "You are right. I will behave myself." Melike smiled at her.