CHAPTER 35

Melike could feel her heart pounding inside of her chest as she helped Goktug latch on his belt from behind. "I cannot believe we have succeeded," she whispered, for what may have been the tenth time that evening. "Osman Bey is the Kayi Bey...oh, Goktug, I am so happy." Goktug chuckled softly, then turned around to face her once she was done with his belt.

"I know, Cilegim," he said. "I cannot explain my happiness either." He stroked his thumb down the side of her face lovingly, and leaned in to place a kiss on her forehead.

"You look beautiful tonight, by the way," he whispered near her ear, making her blush. "I love this colour on you...you look like a queen." Melike smiled up at him bashfully. For the occasion of the Beylic Ceremony, she had changed into a gorgeous magenta dress with silver embroidery. It had been a wedding gift from Selcan that she had made herself, all the while looking after Aygul in the mountains. It fit Melike perfectly.

"Thank you, Goktug," she said, before leaning up to kiss his cheek. "And you look very handsome, too. You have always looked dashing in black." "Oh, I know," said Goktug haughtily, making her roll her eyes affectionately. "And I know how much you love it...that's why I myself love wearing it." Melike chuckled, patting his chest softly. "Come on, now," she said, as she left to the corner of the tent to fix her headdress in the mirror. "You should go meet up with the Alps."

"Oh, I will wait for you, Cilegim, I think that we should leave together," said Goktug, and Melike turned to look at him in surprise. "Oh?" she said. "Why such antics for tonight? It is not like we just got married." "No, but since Osman Bey is the Kayi Bey now, we no longer have to walk on eggshells everywhere like our marriage is still forbidden," said Goktug. "Now that Osman Bey is the Kayi Bey, no one can say anything against us anymore." Melike blinked at him.

"Oh, my dear Goktug," she said. "Did you really feel that way before?" "A little bit," said Goktug, walking up to her and placing his large hands on her shoulders. "But not anymore. Now, no one can stand in our way." He took her hands in his own.

"Now, shall we, Melike'm?" he said, and Melike nodded with a laugh. "We shall, Goktug'im," she said, and the two of them left the tent together, hand in hand.

They went over to Boran's tent just nearby, and Melike knocked on the door. "Agabey? Are you ready?" she called out. Boran responded with, "Almost!"

"My, my, he must be taking ages simply because of his need to impress Gonca Hatun," muttered Goktug, and Melike chuckled. "Boran, hurry up, now, we must meet with the other Alps soon! Surely, it cannot take so long to put on your lipstick?" He winced when Melike smacked him in the arm.

At that, Boran immediately exited the tent, his hat slightly lopsided. He glared at Goktug; "I am ready!" he snapped, making his friend smirk at him. "And I was not putting on make-up." Melike shook her head patiently, then reached up to straighten Boran's hat. "You look very handsome, Agabey, do not worry," she said, a kind smile playing upon her lips. "Ignore Goktug, he is just teasing." "Obviously," muttered Boran, still glaring at his brother-in-law. "And er, you look very nice too, bacim." Melike smiled at him in thanks, then took her husband's arm.

"The both of you should go meet up with the Alps now," she said. "I will go meet with Selcan Ana, Bala, Gonca and Aygul, if you do not mind, Goktug." "You need not my permission, Cilek," said Goktug with a smile. "Go. Give Selcan Ana my greetings." "I will," said Melike, and she kissed his cheek again before placing her hand upon her chest as farewell and heading towards Selcan Hatun's tent.

"Destur, Ana?" she called out upon arrival, and Selcan replied with, "You may come in, kizim." Melike entered once given the permission, and saw Selcan Hatun, Bala Hatun, Gonca Hatun and Aygul Hatun all standing up to greet her.