CHAPTER 31

Goktug, Boran, Dumrul and Gence Bey had spent more than an hour hiding in the bushes with the other Alps. Osman had told them to wait for his signal as Yavlak Arslan brought him and Cerkutay into Geyhatu's camp, where they were to ambush the Mongol Commander together.

But Osman's signal never came.

"Still, nothing," murmured Goktug when Boran asked if he could see anything. "No signal. Not even a noise. Something is wrong."

Gence Bey frowned; "Should we wait longer, Brother?" he asked. "Or should we move in now?" Goktug was about to answer when a loud yell cracked through the air like a whip, and the Mongol nokers started running into Geyhatu's marquee in a frenzy.

"I think it is time to move in now, Gence Bey," said Goktug, smirking. He turned to Boran.

"You move in first with the archers, Brother," he said, and Boran nodded. "Haydi, come on now." "Tamam, kardas," said Boran to the other Alps. "Haydi, everyone!" He moved in with half of the Alps, those who carried bows and arrows with them. And just as the barricade of soldiers were about to break into the marquee and destroy whatever and whoever was in it, Boran loudly announced his presence with a "We're here, Osman Bey!", and shot an arrow right through the back of the throat of one of the Mongol soldiers. The other archers followed his lead, and many of the nokers had not even turned around yet before they were smitten by the Kayi's arrows.

Goktug led Dumrul, Gence Bey and the other Alps into the camp as the soldiers tore their attention away from the marquee and towards them. He killed the first soldier that reached him with a single blow from his sword, despite his limp and arms still aching from his wounds. His comrades joined in on the fight, swinging their swords and throwing their fists.

Osman Bey and Yavlak Arslan emerged from the marquee with Yavlak Arslan's Alps, once they saw the break in the crowd of Mongol nokers- mostly due to the fact that nearly half of them had already been taken down.

Osman pounced on the nearest soldier like a wolf, and slaughtered it like a lamb just as Yavlak Arslan neatly sliced off the head of one of another. Cerkutay too, had joined the fight, and had taken a sword from one of the soldiers to use for himself, after snapping that soldier's neck. His comical cackles and boyish laughter could be heard throughout the camp as he fought alongside the Kayis, his enemies who had now become his allies- except for one, perhaps.

Goktug rolled his eyes at Cerkutay after catching a glimpse of him running around, cackling, and he narrowly dodged a blow from a soldier's sword. He disarmed and killed that soldier immediately after, but could not avoid a kick to his already injured knee. He roared in pain as his legs buckled and he fell to the ground.

The soldier responsible for the kick closed in on him, and he was only just in time to thrust his sword through the soldier's stomach, before he could be slain himself. Goktug groaned as he stood up, his knee quivering slightly. He suddenly heard a loud yell from somewhere behind him, and saw Cerkutay aiming a spear straight for him.

"Shit-"

He was about to duck when he realised in time that the spear had been aimed for a soldier that he had not noticed was running towards him from behind. The spear thrust deep into the soldier's back, through his body and emerged from the other side, killing him before he could fall.

Goktug stared in disbelief, and Cerkutay began to laugh.

"Brothers who have fought together before do not forget each other easily, Kongar!" he said, and laughed again.

Goktug gawked, his brow furrowed in utter confusion- he was so surprised that he had not even gotten angry about the fact that he was just addressed as 'Kongar'.