CHAPTER 25

Night had turned into day.

At the crack of dawn, Gunduz Bey, Savci Bey and Dundar Bey had already made their way to Yavlak Arslan's tribe for an important meeting about a treaty they were to have with the Byzantines- specifically with Inegol's Tekfur Nikola.

Osman Bey too, was invited, and he had told them at dinner on the previous night that he would participate- however, he had other plans. Plans that Melike Hatun herself was preparing for.

After completing her dawn prayers with additional pleas to Allah to help her succeed in her mission and goals for that day, Melike spent a few productive minutes sharpening her sword and dagger and preparing her arrows and bow; she was to go to war that day, to join a siege in taking back the Kulucahisar Fortress from the Byzantines. It was why Goktug Alp and Boran Alp had been stationed there overnight in the first place, so they could prepare to let the battalion of Alps led by Osman Bey into the fortress to reconquer it. Melike sincerely hoped that all had gone well, and their mission had succeeded- the fate of their tribe and its reputation depended on it, as well as their very lives.

She slid her sword into its sheath and kept her dagger in its place on her belt. She grabbed her bow and arrows and left her tent, heading straight to the stables so she could prepare her steed.

"Are you excited, Jarrah'im?" she asked, stroking her horse's long, stormy-gray face after placing her quiver of arrows and her bow in her saddlebag. "We're finally going to take back our fortress...Nikola and that horrid Aslan Avcisi will know the price they must pay for imprisoning me and my people within the walls that we have conquered ourselves." Jarrah whinnied in an eager response, and Melike placed a kiss on his nose. "Come on now," she said. "We must meet Osman Bey, Bala Hatun and the rest of the Alps in the forest. They are waiting for us." She smiled; "Then we will go and take back our fortress," she told him. "And we will see Goktug. He will succeed, I know he will." Jarrah whinnied again, indicating for her to hurry. She chuckled, got upon his back in one swift, effortless motion, and took hold of the reins. However, before she could leave the stables and break him off into a gallop, she was stopped.

"Melike Hatun."

Melike furrowed her brow slightly when she saw Lena Hatun walking up to her, her head high with a questioning expression on her face. "Lena Hatun," she addressed her politely, and Lena nodded. "Where are you going, Melike?" she asked. "I do not recall hearing that you had a mission today. Osman had gone off to Yavlak Arslan's camp, and I do not remember Gunduz Bey or anyone else giving you orders to leave the tribe today." Melike frowned; she did not like Lena's tone. She spoke as if she had some form of high authority, and it did not suit her.

"Osman Bey may be off at Yavlak Arslan's camp today, yes," she said. "But I do have my own errands to run, Lena Hatun. And I don't usually tell the whole tribe if I do, so I am sorry if you were not informed- though you needn't be, actually." Lena frowned, looking stung. She looked at Melike's saddlebag.

"You are armed," she said, and Melike smiled. "I am always armed," she said. "I am a warrior. And I do plan to go hunting afterward, so I do think that I should be armed, shouldn't I?" Lena nodded. "You should," she agreed. "Good for you."

Melike opened her mouth to thank her, but was cut across by Hazal Hatun, who had just appeared at Lena's side. "Heh, good for you indeed," she said. "Good indeed, for someone who works for Osman Bey. You must be happy for him, are you not?" Melike's lips thinned. "Regarding what, Hazal Hatun?" she asked, ignoring the anger that was brewing within her from simply looking at Hazal's obnoxious expression.

"Regarding his marriage, of course!" exclaimed Hazal in an obvious voice. "His marriage to Targun Hatun! Surely you are overjoyed about it, especially as he is bound to have a child with her now." Melike forced a weak smile, to keep her face from falling. "Of course I am," she said very untruthfully. "I am happy for him. May Allah bless their marriage." "Amiin, amiin!" cackled Hazal. "Ah, I do hope Bala Hatun will not cause any problems for them." Melike could not suppress a frown.