CHAPTER 13

A/N: Dedicated to @ZahraHussain202  + @HadiahAamer123 <3

Melike woke up the next morning, feeling rather uneasy. She looked toward the side of the bed where Goktug usually slept, and sighed to see it empty. She missed him.

"Ah, well," she muttered, and got herself out of bed. "He would have woken me up anyhow, had he returned." She had spent a few hours waiting for him, hoping he would be back in the night but alas, he did not return. She pursed her lips, and tidied the bed before heating up the water, so she could wash and change her clothes, and prepare for the day.

"I wonder if he will come back today, or if he will stay longer," she voiced her wonders out loud. "Nevertheless- I believe I have much to do today." After putting on her clothes and armor, and taking her newly sharpened sword from the weapons rack, she decided that she would have breakfast with Bala, Ahmet and Gonca that day; so she did not need to take the trouble to prepare anything for herself to eat.

She left the tent and went to Osman and Bala's, just nearby the Bey's marquee. "Destur?" she called in at the door. "May I come in?" "You may, Melike," she heard Bala's voice reply, and she smiled before she entered the tent. "Melike Hatun!" exclaimed young Ahmet Alp, before running to her and throwing his arms around her middle. "Why, Selam Aleykum, Ahmet'im!" Melike greeted him back, chuckling. "Were you expecting me?" "Of course I was!" he told her. "I had hoped you would join me and Bala Hatun and Gonca Hatun for breakfast."

Bala and Gonca laughed behind him, and Bala got up to take Melike by the arm and bring her to the table. "How are you, Melike?" she asked. "Did you rest well?" "It was alright," said Melike half-heartedly. "I could not help but think of my husband and our Alps, but I know not to fret." "Of course they will be on your mind," smiled Bala. "They were on my mind too...I believe it all is part of being a wife, and a woman of Kayi."

"It is," agreed Melike. She turned to Gonca, who sighed in exasperation when she saw the mischievous smirk on her face; "Oh, what is it now?" she asked, squeezing her eyes shut in annoyance. "What do you want to tease me about?" "Oh, I do not intend to tease, Gonca'm," said Melike, in an injured voice. "I am hurt that you think such a thing. All I wanted was to ask if you too, thought of our brave men out there fighting for our tribe."

"Why on earth would I be thinking of Boran Alp during the night, Melike?" snapped Gonca. "When I should be resting peacefully, without worrying?" Melike's grin widened, and Bala laughed; "She never even mentioned Boran Alp, Gonca," she tittered, and poor Gonca's olive-skinned cheeks went a deep shade of pink in realization and embarrassment. "Oh, bother," she muttered, glaring at them, as Ahmet giggled. "You two truly are relentless."

They all continued to bicker in a friendly manner through their breakfast, and then began discussing their duties for the day; "I will probably go to Sogut again today," said Gonca. "After my work at the Port Bazaar. Perhaps Gunduz Bey will assign you a duty there too, Melike." "I am to be at Kulucahisar again today," said Melike. "Gunduz Bey had assigned duties there for Boran and I, to do today just as we did yesterday morning- however, now I have to do my brother's work too since he is absent. Though I may go to Sogut later on. Maybe we shall meet there." "Ah, I see," nodded Gonca.

"Where is Gunduz Bey, anyway?" asked Bala. "He did not return in the night." "After we collected the taxes, he took his Alps to bring them to Geyhatu's men at one of the caravanserais," replied Melike. "I believe he will return today."

Bala nodded, and opened her mouth to continue the conversation, but before she could do so they heard a commotion take place outside the tent. Panicked cries and yells reached their ears, and all of them frowned, feeling slightly alarmed. "Allah, may it be something good," prayed Melike secretly hoping that it was Goktug's return with Osman Bey, Savci Bey and her brother- though she did wonder why everyone sounded so aggrieved.