Chapter 28

I heard the door knob jiggle as Karson's eyes snapped to mine. "Who is that?"

I pleaded with my eyes, trying to hint at them to get out of the house. If my mother saw them in the living room, I'm not sure how she would react.

Before I was able to respond, the door shot open, roughly hitting the wall from the force my mother used. I slightly flinched, my body rigid as my mouth went dry. I didn't know what to do.

"Dakota?!" My mother's voice boomed, echoing throughout the house. Olivia slightly jumped in Braxton's arms as she squeezed her eyes shut and nuzzled her head further into his shoulder.

I quickly grabbed Karson's arm as Jace grabbed Braxton's. We guided them to the farthest end of the house to make sure my mother wouldn't see them. I placed my finger above my mouth, trying to tell them to be quiet.

They both looked confused, not having a clue as to what was going on. I didn't have time to explain it to them, but I prayed they would listen and stay right where they were.

Now, all Jace and I had to do was keep my mother from going into the living room, and that would not be fucking easy.

"Yes?" I responded to my mother, a few moments later as I tried to figure out what to do with the two boys in our house.

"Where the fuck are you?" She growled, her voice slightly raising as I grabbed onto Jace's hand and pulled him along with me.

He grunted in response, shocked by the sudden movement, but we eventually stopped in front of our mom who stood in the foyer. She slightly leaned against the door frame as she brought the beer bottle she had in her hand to her lips, taking a few sips.

She released the bottle from her lips as a small burp crawled out of her throat. I scrunched my nose in disgust as I could hear Braxton and Karson ruffling around in the living room.

Those fuckers.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" My mother questioned as she slightly swayed back and forth.

I gulped. "L-like what?"

"Are you fucking hiding something?" She growled, taking a shaky step forward as she ignored my question.

I internally cringed as I thought about Karson and Braxton hearing the way my mother talked to me. How was I going to explain this to them?

"I'm not hiding anything," I responded quickly, my voice small and tight.

"You seem on edge," she pointed out, taking another swig of her beer as she narrowed her bloodshot eyes at me. Does she ever sleep?

"I'm not," I replied, fiddling with my fingers as I heard Jace sigh in annoyance.

"Whatever, I don't fucking care," she finally decided as she rolled her eyes. "Now, get the fuck out of my way."

"Sorry, mom, uh, maybe you should go back to the bar. Did you forget something?" Jace stuttered, cutting into the conversation as he quickly made something up to try and get her out of the house.

"I said, get the fuck out of my way," she growled, completely ignoring what Jace offered as she roughly pushed me to the side.

My body collied with the wall beside me as I slightly groaned in pain. My head bounced off the wall as I tried to regain my focus to see my mother's swaying figure. I leaned against the wall, slightly rubbing my head as my blurry vision caught my mother staring at something.

"What the fuck?" I heard a rough voice growl as my body stiffened. I squeezed my eyes shut as my head began to spin. This was not happening.