16. Strings

"So.. cold.."

Her thoughts echoed through the empty black hall, for what seemed to be a very long corridor一a place she felt like she'd gone here before.

A corridor with thousand doors, waiting for her to open. Curios arose inside her chest, she held in her breath and slowly walked to the door一opening one by one.

Until, she stopped, standing there.

"Y/n! What did the doctor say?"

There, she saw her... child self? With two young boys, crowding around her in curiosity and worry. The boys seemed to be familiar for her, but who were they?

"The doctor said..."

The h/c child stopped trailing her words, pausing for a brief second. Was this dream a piece of her memory?

And were they...

Kaeya and Diluc?

What was her past self doing with them? "Sir Kae一" she stopped herself, her voice didn't come out. She wanted to scream so loud, calling them both.

"We're friends Y/n, you can tell us anything." The blue haired pulled her hand in his hand, eyeing her in concern.

What the hell was happening?

"Yeah! Share your burden!" This time, it was the red one who chirped.

The scene suddenly shifted, as if the scene pulled her in. Now, she was standing in front of her own past self, sat by the bed while looking into the void of silence.

"Y/n..."

The blue haired man knocked on the door, her past self didn't move or say a word other than一"I apologize for rejecting your invitation. But, congratulations for your promotion to be the captain."

The blue haired man with the tanned skin gripped her favourite flowers, biting his lips. "I know Diluc quit and Master Crepus is gone, not to mention about the ruby and the accident."

She hummed, not giving any response left. The man walked toward the girl, holding her hand. "But please at least, look at me."

She turned her gaze by the sudden affection given by him. And there, her eyes were puffed and dread. Y/n could only watch from afar, holding in her desire to yell: "Y/n! Look at him! Look at your friend!", but what could she do?

His lilac eyes were locked in her e/c orbs. Y/n walked toward Kaeya, landing her hand on his shoulder, only to slip. His eyes, she could see how it blinged, it reflected the colour even better.

"Sir Kae一"

Before Y/n could make an attempt to comfort, her eyelash fluttered open, ruining the moment. She laid there, in the bed, ghost quiet.

Conversations with the tone of concern rang outside the door, peeking her interest.

"Please calm down, not in the hospital. Y/n is resting."

"Hmph, the Favonius isn't even competent enough."

"Sir Di一Diluc, not in front of the room, Kaeya has tried his best to protect her一"

"It's your cousin, Jean."

Y/n laid there, silent as ever. She waited for Kaeya's voice一only for it to be none.

Her ears caught Diluc's voice that echoed. What was happening一why were they fighting? "Sir一" her voice itched to call the name, but her throat hitched.