Chapter Twenty Seven- Selfish

'Ex-Death Eater Draco Malfoy witnessed fighting against Death Eaters, saving countless Wizard and Muggle lives!'

Draco scoffs, tossing the paper across the living room. It's stupid, he thinks, how people will undeniably be treating him like they never thought he was bad. The article saying something about him heroically throwing himself in front of 'War Veteran Hermione Granger,' and 'Taking down at least seven masked Death Eaters before getting hit with the Cruciatus Curse.'

Maybe spending so much time with Gryffindors has messed up his brain. He didn't think before protecting Hermione, or throwing himself directly into the line of fire. He just knew he wasn't going to let anyone else get hurt by those idiotic Death Eaters. Haven't they realized they're fighting a losing battle?

He stretches his neck, it has been stiff for a couple days. The attack was about two weeks ago. He still aches everywhere but every day has gotten easier. Harry has been MIA for a week or so, Draco hasn't heard much from him. Harry looked a little shaken up when he left his apartment that day he spilled his guts, he hasn't seemed the same. He has spoken to Hermione a couple times a day, she's become somewhat of a mother hen towards him. Making sure he's eating, sleeping well, showering, just making sure he's comfortable. He doesn't know if it's because he threw himself in front of her to protect her or because they've just become that good of friends. He thinks it's the latter, or well, hopes it is. He really does like being friends with the bushy brunette, she seems to keep him sane.

It is currently three o'clock in the afternoon, Draco hasn't done much but watch television and wait for Harry to text him back. He texted him last night, hoping to make plans to see him. As he hasn't seen him in over a week. Though, he hasn't gotten a response back. He knows Harry is busy, but he was at least expecting a response even if it was a no. He doesn't like being ignored, he would much rather be told to fuck off than to be blatantly ignored.

A knock on his door makes him perk up, he is hoping it is the brunet. He jumps up a little faster than his body allows him and he groans at the pounding in his head. He steadies himself on the couch, willing the black spots to clear his vision. He shakes his head, the spots still there but more of a grey colour now.

He hurries to the door, turning the handle and pulling the door open quickly. His smile falls from his face, he loves Hermione but he was really hoping it would be Harry.

"Don't look too happy to see me now, Draco," Hermione laughs stepping into his apartment and taking off her shoes.

"Sorry, it's not that I don't want to see you. I was expecting Harry, he hasn't been answering my texts," Draco rubs the back of his neck letting the brunette into his apartment. She furrows her eyebrows, setting a plastic bag down on the side table before sitting herself down on the couch. In her spot, the one closest to the window. Draco sits across from her, his feet tucked under him and his eyebrows furrowing as well.

"He didn't say anything about coming over, I just saw him," Hermione says tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. Draco frowns, huffing slightly. "I brought muffins though."

"Oh, I love you. You know just how to cheer me up," Draco says taking a lemon poppy seed muffin from Hermione. He takes an angry bite, raising his eyebrows sky high. It is a delicious muffin. "But, I think he's avoiding me."

Hermione smiles back widely, "Oh jeez, I love you too. But, why would he be avoiding you?"

"He thinks he's been putting me in too much danger, though he said he didn't want to lose me. So I don't understand him," Draco takes another bite of the muffin, Hermione is amazing at cooking and he might just marry her for her cooking skills. Hermione frowns while taking a bite of her blueberry muffin daintily. Draco shrugs his shoulders, swallowing the muffin and huffing.