twenty three. run

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

ATHENA STARED BLANKLY INTO the distance, the consistent movement of the horse swaying her mind into a day dream. Now, Athena knew better than to day dream outside of the farm, she had to be alert at all times incase danger struck and nowadays, it was always unpredictable. But Athena' mind was elsewhere, focused on something other than the mission at hand.

She could faintly hear the chatter of Glenn and Maggie but she wasn't paying attention to what they were saying whatsoever. Instead, she kept quiet and refocused her attention back to the road and her surroundings. As they entered the little town, Athena noted how quiet it was. There was no hustle and bustle of the townspeople making their daily trip to get their essentials. No children or even a dog wandered the streets. It was as if they were never there and simply just vanished. But they didn't just disappear, they fled and most likely didn't make it out alive. That, was the harsh reality.

Athena reached forward and petted the horses mane as they neared the pharmacy, feeling it's soft yet bristled coat. Back on her grandfathers farm, she used to love tending to the horses and riding them around the perimeter of the land. She loved the feeling of the wind in her hair and the rush it gave her. Other than her grandfather himself, riding the horses seemed to help her forget the bad, like being abandoned by the parents who gave up on her.

She wished that in that exact moment, she could ride away on a horse and forget it all. But she had to face this.

The three survivors dismounted the horse and tied them to a fence post before walking over to the window of the small town pharmacy. In the window was a large cardboard sign with writing in big black letters; Take What You Need And God Bless.

Athena sighed and shrugged "Well at least we don't need to feel guilty about raiding the place."

"Guess not." Glenn responded with a small nod as Maggie took lead.

Entering the store, Athena' eyes were immediately drawn to the items strewn all over the pharmacy floor. People truly didn't hesitate listening to the sign. Anything you could possibly need was in the wrong section, no order or organisation whatsoever. This was going to be a lot harder than Athena thought.

"I'll go see what antibiotics are left. What else is on the list?" Maggie asked politely.

Glenn reached into his pocket and handed Maggie a piece of paper with they needed "Why don't you get started? Athena and I will look around and see what's worth grabbing. Just general stuff."

"Sounds good." Athena nodded looking around from her position. She had to be discreet. "Let me know if you find anything good."