twenty two. fallen deep

CHAPTER TWENTY–TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY–TWO.

THE SUN BREAKING INTO the morning sky is what causes the brunette to blink her eyes open, disturbing her peaceful slumber. Despite sleeping on the ground, Athena relatively had a good nights sleep. Maybe it was the comfort of sleeping on a farm again which felt like home, or maybe it was because for the first time in so long she was sleeping next to someone. Someone who she admired and made her feel safe.

The half-awake woman lifted her hand and rubbed her eyes before twisting her whole body so she was facing Shane. He was still asleep and honestly she didn't blame him, the past few days had been rough for them — What with Sophia going missing and Carl being shot. They needed to rest as much as they could if they were going to search for Sophia any time soon. As she laid beside him, Athena began to study his strong features, noticing the little lines in his forehead as he frowned in his sleep and how his stubble lightly covered the lower half of his face. He really was a handsome man.

Of course he now looked a lot a different considering his hair was now completely gone. It was a surprise at first as his hair was one of the main things Athena loved about him physically, but it was growing on her, finding it made him look even more masculine.

"I know you're staring at me." Shane suddenly spoke up, his eyes remaining shut.

"I am not."

Shane opened an eye secretly to see Athena glancing over on occasion, trying to see if the man was looking. "Liar." Athena giggled, gently slapping him on the chest before Shane fully opened his eyes and looked over to her.

"I was just looking at your hair, or lack of it at least."

Shane smiled "Oh yeah? And what do you think?"

Athena rolled onto her stomach so she was looking down at the man as her hand grazed his head "I love it. But, what I will miss is running my fingers through it ever so often."

"Or pulling on it."

The brunette shook her head playfully as Shane attempted to keep an innocent expression. "Guess we know now who isn't getting any later."

The man chuckled and placed her hair behind her ear "Last time we woke up like this was before shit hit the fan."

"Yep. Before the CDC turned out to be a sham, Sophia went missing and Carl got shot. Crazy what a couple of weeks can do." Shane hummed in agreement "But I guess we'll be sticking around here for a while until we find Sophia. I mean it seems safe."

"If it's safe we'll stay as long as we can. As long as you're away from danger I don't care where we are."

Athena softly smiled to herself as Shane played with the loose strands of hair that covered her face. She wished she could stay like this forever but the world outside of their tent was waiting for them and many responsibilities followed when it came to surviving nowadays. They couldn't just lay around all day. "It's Otis' funeral today. Are you gonna be okay?"