ten. awakening

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

WITH TIRED EYES AND a slight pulse of adrenaline pumping through her veins, Athena's eyes burst open to see Shane shaking her body. "We're here." Athena is a little confused, completely unaware of how she had slipped into a sleeping state in the first place but nevertheless she shook her head and stepped out of the vehicle. With her gun firmly attached to her hand, Athena begins to see the rest of her group emerge from their vehicles as they glanced around the area.

Ahead of them is a tall building with large windows surrounding the outside. They had finally arrived at the CDC. But the one thing that caught her attention most was the mountains of scattered bodies dressed in military uniforms and bullet proof jackets. The woman had never seen so many dead bodies in one area before, and the fact they are situated outside of the place where they held most of their hope gave the woman an uneasy feeling. It was a harsh awakening to what the world had truly become.

However, Athena tried to shake that uneasy feeling as they started to move towards the building of hope — but the vile stench of death only caused the feeling to grow. Something had happened here, it is quite obvious due to the deserted tanks and hundreds of dead bodies. Athena just wanted to know what went wrong. Weaving in between the dead bodies, the brunette stays beside Andrea at the front of the group with her weapon raised. The sky was starting to darken and that meant they would become extremely vulnerable unless they found shelter soon. All she could do was pray for the best.

"Walkers!" She hears Daryl shout. Immediately she sees the fear within the children as they clung to their mothers, watching the walker approach from behind. Daryl raised his crossbow and shot a clean arrow through its skull, killing the threat.

"It's too dangerous to be out here after dark." Athena warned as she continued to keep watch for any other walkers.

Daryl turned and marched towards Rick, his face full of fury "He led us into a graveyard!"

"He made a call-"

"It was the wrong damn call!"

Shane stood between Daryl and Rick, intervening before the situation could become worse. "Shut up man! Shut up! Rick this is a dead end."

"Where are we gonna go?" Carol cried as she held onto Sophia.

"We can't be this close to the city after dark."

The group had erupted into a flurry of panic. The CDC was lifeless and their hope of finding a safe place had vanished right before their eyes. Athena is scared of what's going to happen to them — would they even make it through the night?