five. defence

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

AFTER EXPERIENCING THE RELIEF of the group returning and feeling overwhelmed with the Grimes family reunion, Athena is surprisingly happy to simply help with the laundry chores. The brunette hated doing the women affiliated jobs in the camp like washing and cleaning, but for once she is grateful for the small chore — it being simple and relaxing.

Athena had to admit after the last few days she needed a break, and sitting beside the water on a hot day with her newfound friends is more than enough. Andrea has been one of the main people who she's grown close to over the past month, other than Lori. The two women got along well and they often found themselves talking about Andrea's job as a civil rights lawyer — Athena being fascinated by what it entailed.

A little off to the other side of the quarry was Carl and Shane fishing for frogs. Athena found herself absentmindedly glancing over ever so often, finding pleasure at the small scene in front of her. The sound of the child's laughter made her forget about the bad things happening around them. Athena had never been like other women to fuss over the sight of a small child, but in the new world that was now possessed by evil, children are the only form of innocence.

A small smile appeared on her face as she continued to scrub at the clothing, seeing them together made Athena notice how different Shane was around Carl. He was joyful and affectionate. Andrea nudged Athena with her elbow causing the brunette to look at the blonde. "I saw that."

"Saw what?" Athena frowned with a shrug before drawing her attention back to the laundry. She knew exactly what she was doing deep down but wouldn't admit it out loud.

Andrea raised a brow and tilted her head a little as a mischievous smile appeared on her lips. "You know what I'm talking about."

The brunette rolled her eyes. Carol groaned a little as she scrubbed away at the clothing. "I do miss my Maytag."

Much like before, the women were discussing their favourite things from their previous life. As much as it was reminder that what they had was gone, it was nice to talk about something other than death. "I miss my Benz. My sat nav." Andrea chimed in.

Jacqui began to rinse out the piece of material as a look of pure bliss crossed her face. "I miss my coffee maker with that dual-drip filter and built-in grinder honey."

"My computer. And texting." Amy said.

As a thought popped into Athena's head, her stomach instantly rumbling. "I miss burgers and fries. My own bed most of all."

"I miss my vibrator." Andrea said casually causing the women to laugh and give Andrea knowing stares.

It went silent for a second before Carol spoke up. "Me too." Athena's eyes grew large as the women burst into a fit a giggles. It was so out of character but Athena found it beyond humorous.