fifteen. one last goodbye

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

EMPTINESS IS THE ONLY way to describe how Athena felt about the situation they gotten themselves into. The mothers of the group were clinging to their children and people were either crying or raging at the door in attempt to escape. Athena however, wasn't doing either, instead she found herself nursing the bottle of whiskey and staring into the distance. She didn't feel upset or angry, she just felt defeated.

If they weren't going to get out, Athena decided to return to her old friend (a bottle of alcohol) for comfort. She may as well savour it before she couldn't feel anything at all. Of course she was furious, there was no doubt in her mind about that. But if Athena were to get herself all fired up about something that they couldn't change, it would just be pointless. Once Athena got that fire on her belly there was no stopping her. She didn't want herself to reach that point again. So she sat quietly in the corner, listening to the men attempt to demolish the door with whatever they could find.

"You should have left well enough alone. It would have been so much easier." Jenner articulated.

"Easier for who?"

"All of you. You know what's out there. A short, brutal life and an agonising death." Jenner turned his attention to Andrea "Your-your sister. You know what this does. You've seen it. Is that really what you want for your wife and son?"

"I dont want this." Rick asserted, referring to their current situation.

Shane breathed heavily as his arms rested on the desk "Can't make a dent."

"Those doors are designed to withstand a rocket launcher."

"Well, your head ain't!" With the axe that was being used on the door, Daryl raged towards Jenner and strived to swing the axe on him.

Immediately everyone jumped into action, pulling and blocking Daryl from getting to Jenner. As much as everyone wanted to take a swing at Jenner, they knew that if he was dead, then there really was no way of getting out.

"You do want this!" Jenner said standing up "Last night, you said you knew it was just a matter of time before everybody you loved was dead."

These words caused Athena to pause, preventing the bottle from touching her lips once more. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Her head turned to look at Rick who guiltily glanced between everyones judging eyes.

"What, you really said that after all your big talk?" Shane asked.

"I had to keep hope alive, didn't I?"