twenty-eight. taking a step back

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

FOLLOWING ON FROM THE events that took place merely less than twelve hours ago, Athena woke up that morning a lot lighter than she had previously felt. The young brunette still couldn't quite believe what was happening to her - she was going to have a baby. Never in a million years would Athena have considered having a child, after everything she went through during her addiction, she never even thought she'd live long enough to get herself better never-mind starting a family.

When Athena woke up, she awoke to a bowl of sliced apples and tinned peaches placed beside her. Since Shane found out about Athena's pregnancy, he had become a little too protective. All night long he kept checking on Athena whilst she slept, making sure she was warm enough and comfortable all the while worrying about  what she would need and how he'd keep her safe. He was downright terrified but had also never felt happier. After what happened to Athena yesterday, Shane was determined to keep her and his baby alive, even if it was the last thing he did.

The brunette tucked in to her breakfast left for her, enjoying the sweet taste on her tongue with every mouthful, before leaving the tent to find the rest of the group. Athena's brown eyes scoped the area as they adjusted to the light, she could see her people roaming around their camp making a start on their chores, then her eyes landed on Shane and Rick. She walked over to the pair as they studied the map of the area with Beth's boyfriend Jimmy there for assistance.

Athena placed her hand on Shane's back and kissed his shoulder lightly. "Morning." She whispered to him as she rested her chin on his shoulder.

Shane stopped what he was doing and smiled, he took his spare hand and placed it at the back of her head, running his hand through her hair "Morning baby."

"How are you feeling?" Rick asked with real concern laced in his tone once he noticed her presence.

The brunette smiled a little and nodded "I'm okay. Just a little scratched and bruised."

"I'm happy to hear that. If there's anything you need, just let us know." Rick affirmed. The man was genuinely happy to see she was okay, after all, she was apart of their big dysfunctional family. Rick, just like the others, still didn't know what Shane and Athena were but what he did know for sure is that she meant a whole lot to him. As long as his best friend was happy, so was he. "We're appreciative for all of it. Thanks you and Daryl we found another lead. If it wasn't for you guys we may not have found anything."

"Thank you." Athena said. "Anything I can do for Sophia is worth it."

Rick nodded then returned his eyes to the map. "The doll that you guys found in the creek, it flows south past that farmhouse you found. Maybe Sophia dropped the doll there and the current brought it downstream?"