thirteen. torn

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

WITH EYES OPENING SOFTLY, Athena began to feel a throbbing sensation begin to form in her head. A feeling she hadn't felt in years and the more she moved, the more she understood why. She lifted her hands and grumbled a little before rubbing her temples tenderly, vowing to never drink again. Once her vision had focused and her head had settled, Athena glanced around the unfamiliar room in attempt to piece everything together.

She was at the CDC, that much she most definitely knew. How could she forget? They had gone through hell to get there. She remembered arriving and meeting the sole survivor Dr. Edwin Jenner before they drank the night away. Athena smiled a little, recalling the slither of happiness she had not felt since pain and misery struck. The brunette could vaguely remember visiting Andrea and the state she had gotten into — she was nothing but a wreck. Athena got a sinking feeling in her stomach thinking about the broken woman, making her wonder whether it was sympathy or the drink coming up from last night.

The woman snuggled her head back into her pillow, the overwhelming feeling of tiredness making her wish she could go back to sleep. But, she had to admit, sleeping in an actual bed rather than on the floor had really paid off. It truly proved that she missed having basic and normal things like a bed to sleep in at night. With her arms wrapped around the pillow, Athena's eyes fluttered back open, instantly fixating on the clothes strewn across the ground.

A frown appeared on the young woman's face, a hundred different scenarios racing through her aching head. Thats when realisation struck and her eyes grew wide. Athena lifted up the covers to see an arm rested across her waist and her breath hitched in her throat. The brunette slowly turned to see a muscular frame laying beside her, feeling the bed dip as she did so. It was Shane. A wave of recollection struck, like a series of memories. The memories of last night were engrained in her brain, everything that happened between them within the last couple of months had finally been recognised, the two of them sharing their true feelings.

Athena didn't know exactly how she felt about last night, it was all so new and she didn't have time to register anything or make any form of decision before a voice spoke up. "You're awake." He said groggily.

The brunette propped herself up, resting her head in her hand as she faced Shane with a small smile etched upon her lips. "Unfortunately. I could just go back to sleep for a couple more days." She gazed at Shane, taking in his upper body before something stood out to her. A large scratch on his neck that she did not recall seeing last night. "Oh my god, did i do that?"

"Yeah. Last night was pretty...rough." The man chuckled.

Athena laughed a little "By the looks of things i think it was. I am so sorry about that. If it helps, i'm pretty sure how i feel right now is how the walkers feel."