nine. drive for truth

CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE

THE DRIVE TO THE CDC had seemingly already proved to be less than straight sailing. It was far from it to say the least. After deciding the previous day to set off and search for something worth their while, something to shed some light on their iniquitous situation, the group had set off on their journey towards the CDC.

Before they left, Morales had revealed that he wouldn't be joining them, instead he would be taking his family to Birmingham, Alabama to try and find the rest of their family. It was devastating to hear considering they were a huge part of the group, it was like losing an organ in their groups metaphorical nervous system, but they knew it was what Morales and his family wanted.

Having less people around meant there was less people to protect, but it also meant they were more vulnerable than they were before. Vulnerability. The simple word explained precisely how they were feeling. For starters, they had no idea what lied ahead of them, for all they know the CDC could be empty and overrun by walkers like the rest of the country — if that were true then they would have nothing to turn to.

Athena kept her eyes glued to the road ahead of her, attempting to distract herself so she wouldn't look behind her. They had just left Jim behind, the journey being too much for him to handle due to his state. It was his choice and wish, but Athena couldn't help the rising guilt in her stomach as they drove further and further away. Now they truly had less people than they had at the start and that could be a problem.

"It's what he wanted. He wasn't going to make it no matter what so we've just gotta accept it and move on." Shane adduced as he glanced between the brunette and the road.

Athena sighed. "I know that. It's just sad we had to leave him all by himself. Poor son of bitch just wanted to be with his family. Do you not find that kinda bleak?"

Shane focused on the road but nodded nevertheless "Yeah, I do. But that's the world we now live in, ain't nothing gonna change that."

"Trust me, the world was already bleak before this whole outbreak. I learnt that the hard way." Athena muttered, beginning to play with the rim of her jacket. The woman was travelling alone with Shane in his jeep, the group had decided they would travel in pairs or more and of course Shane had offered to ride with Athena. It was the only logical thing to do considering the grouping: Rick and his family in one car with Carol and the rest of them in the RV with Dale.

His action obviously wasn't because of his infatuation with the brunette beside him, he'd been hurt already and he wasn't about to allow himself to be hurt again any time soon. He simply just enjoyed her presence. "So what's your story then?"