eight. bury a friend

CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

A DEEP MELANCHOLY FEELING fell upon the camp the following morning. Grief and fear were the only two things that could describe how they felt — and that was only on the surface.

There was an indescribable stench looming in the air that had Athena nearly gagging multiple times, so she covered her nose with her jacket in attempt to disguise the scent. The amount of bodies that were scattered around the campsite was heart wrenching. Faces of people that she had once had conversations with were now lifeless.

But what hurt her the most? The sight of Andrea hovered over Amy's dead body. She had been sat beside her younger sister for hours, her eyes glued to Amy in case she made any movement. They had tried multiple times to help Andrea but in return she pulled a gun on Rick. But, the truth was, they were all scared for the moment Amy would turn into one of those monstrous thing.

Athena sighed sadly before fixing her attention back to Glenn, Daryl and Morales — the three separating and disposing of the dead bodies. As she watched the two men pick up a walker, she instantly noticed that it was the one she had killed last night. It was the first time she had killed a walker and she didn't know how to feel about it. It's blood splattered against her skin as crimson soaked her hands — looking down she could still see the dried blood stain.

She wiped her hands on her jeans before tying her hair back and continuing to help with the bodies. They had a system, a system where walker were to be burned and their people were to be buried. Burning them left a vile stench in the atmosphere but it was the most efficient way to dispose of them. However, Athena's job was to stab the people they had lost in the head — to make sure they wouldn't turn into one of the walking dead.

"Hey, whoa, what are you guys doing? This is for geeks." Glenn questioned as he watched Daryl and Morales pick up one of their own and drag them towards the burning pile. "Our people go over there!"

"What the difference? They're all infected." Daryl shrugged, clearly not having any sympathy for anyone in the group other than himself.

"Our people go in that pile over there!" Glenn snapped, causing the two men to stop in their tracks. "We don't burn them! We bury them. Understand? Our people go in that row over there." The two men took in his words before redirecting themselves towards the RV where the rest of their people were laid.

Athena had to admit she proud of Glenn, she liked how he stood his ground and allowed his voice to be heard. Unlike all the other times when complied to people's orders without question.

"Ya'll left my brother for dead!" Daryl yelled angrily as he dropped the body on the floor and began to storm off. "You had this coming!"