seventeen. lost little girl

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

WITH THE HEART WRENCHING disappearance of Sophia being the only thing on everyone's minds, Rick and Daryl had gone out into the woods to search further to where Sophia could have gone. Athena had learned that Sophia had run into the woods to escape two stray walkers that were chasing her. Rick had ran after her and in attempt to lead the walker away and left Sophia to hide and make her way back to the highway, only she never made it back.

Athena couldn't stop the brutal images and ideas popping into her head about what could happen to the little girl. But she couldn't think about that now, all she could do was hope and pray that Sophia would return to them soon.

Currently, in attempt to distract themselves from the worry and hurt, the remaining group members decided to put their energy into something productive until Rick and Daryl came back like moving the abandoned cars. Andrea and Athena were in charge of steering the cars as Shane pushed them to the side of the highway with his vehicle. Moving the vehicles would mean that when they found Sophia, they would be able to move on as soon as possible and find someplace new. Hopefully, some place safe.

"Now that we have fuel, we can double back to a bypass that Glenn flagged on the map." Dale explained to a concerned Carol as Athena began to move the supplies they found.

"Going backs going to be a lot easier than trying to get through this mess."

"But we're not going anywhere until my daughter gets back."

"Of course not." Athena comforted placing a hand on Carols upper back. "We're going to find her."

"Look, Rick and Daryl, they're on it. Ok? Its just a matter of time." Shane smiled, giving Carol some relief.

Andrea threw a bottle of water to Glenn as she joined the rest of them. "It can't be soon enough for me. I'm so freaked out from that herd that passed us by, or whatever you'd call it."

"Yeah, what was that — all of them just marching along like that?" Glenn questioned once more with an inquisitive tone.

"Herd sounds like it would suffice." Athena agreed.

Shane nodded "Now we've seen that before. It's like the night camp got attacked. It's a wandering pack, only fewer." The few fell silent in thought in remembrance of that dreadful night. "Ok. Come on, people. Let's get back go work."

As time passed and the sun began to set, casting an orange glow on the people of the highway, Athena kept her eyes glued to the area. She was currently situated on top of the RV, taking watch for the group as they continued to work below. Without thinking, she found herself looking to the woods more frequently, anticipating the moment Daryl and Rick would emerge from the trees with Sophia safe and sound.

"How you doing T-Dog?" Athena bellowed down to the man who was sat beside the RV. During the moment when the herd of walkers began to roll through the base, T-Dog had seriously injured himself and tore his arm on a piece of scrap metal. It bleeding profusely and rapidly.