one. the outbreak

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

ATHENA KEPT HER large brown eyes fixated on the world outside of her car window. Her car had been sitting in the exact same position for at least two hours amongst other vehicles that were also parked all around her. Athena thought there must have been at least a thousand cars on the highway, all lined up one after the other in an orderly fashion in attempt to flee the city. The people of Atlanta had been victims to a vicious outbreak and in order to survive, Athena got in her car and drove. But it seemed the rest of the city had the exact same idea.

The young brunette was slowly starting to lose her patience as she tapped her fingers against the wheel, waiting around and staying still was not her specialty. As she continued to look out the window to occupy her mind, Athena noticed the fear plastered across each persons face and felt the overwhelming worry that radiated from each individual. It was a sight she had never seen before. After all, psychotic monsters were running around eating people.

Athena was suddenly pulled out of her thoughts when the sound of helicopters boomed from the sky. The woman frowned and immediately pushed her car door open, stepping out into the cold as she looked up at the sky. As far as she could see, helicopters were headed towards the centre of the city — Athena thought it was a rescue team to retrieve the remaining people. The helicopters began disappear behind the trees and that's when Athena picked up her pace and started to jog between the parked vehicles, her curiosity getting the best of her.

Her eyes darted around as she wavered through the groups of people that was increasing by the minute, more people copying Athena's actions as they watched the helicopters fly through the sky. Everyone was scared, understandably, about what would happen to their homes in the city. For most, everything in the city was their life and having to flee from what they once knew was enough to put people on edge.

Athena on the other hand didn't feel the same way. The woman never had a place she could really call home, struggling to find a job and having no friends or family around was hard enough as it was. So, seeing the saddened faces of parents hugging their children with photo albums gripped in their arms was something Athena couldn't relate to. The only she had in common with the strangers surrounding her was the fear she felt for her safety and the constant question of when it'd be safe to return.

As her legs pumped quickly one after the other, Athena suddenly stopped when she collided with a large and broad frame. Athena grunted, spreading her arms out to steady herself as she put her hands on a car. As she stepped back, Athena noticed the screeching sound and looked to her left to see the scratch she had made on the car. Athena slowly turned her head to see a very tall man stood in front of her with a ever deepening scowl. The young woman raised her brows and held up her hands "Oh my god, I'm so sorry."