twenty four. a family friend

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

THE RIDE BACK TO the farm was a quiet one, nothing but the sound of horse shoes clipping against the road filling the silence. Athena had her reasoning behind her lack of talkativeness, she had just found out she was going to be a mom. But the woman hadn't quite figured out how she felt about it yet. So, instead of facing it, she chose to ignore it until she was ready.

Glenn and Maggie hadn't said a word either, it was like in the fifteen minutes she was gone something had happened between them, causing them to no longer speak. However, Glenn seemed to be more awkward than usual, almost as if he was looking for something to say but not knowing quite what. Athena didn't mind the silence though, it allowed her to keep her secret hidden for as long as she could. But for now, it was better no one knew. Before they could arrive back at the farm, Athena needed to come up with a plan on how she was going to tell Shane.

Her first thought was whether she was going to keep the baby or not, it pained her to think about it but it was necessary. The world they lived in now was too dangerous for a tiny baby, one cry from the child and walkers would be on their back like a moth to a flame. Having a baby would be like screaming 'i'm here' to all the deadly creatures nearby. It was a bad idea to have the baby, a huge mistake that should never of happened.

Then why did she feel so guilty even thinking about it.

Athena didn't know the first thing about being a mother due to the lack of maternal role models in her life, but then again maybe she did. Maybe all she had to do was do everything her mother never did for her. However, this wasn't something she could do alone if she chose to keep it. She would need Shane.

However, Athena still had her doubts about Shane when it came to him and Lori's past relationship, she still had her worries about Shane's feelings towards Lori and how that would affect the pair in the future. What if he still loved her and left Athena to pursue a relationship with Lori like he was doing in the beginning. Would she really want to have a baby with a man who didn't want to be with her?

Whatever doubts and troubles she was having now, she would have to put them to the back of her mind as they entered through the gates of the farm. Athena scanned the area to see a few people from the group scattered around the farm from the camp to the house. Thankfully, Shane was nowhere to be seen. The brunette simply knew that as soon as he looked at her, he would know something was wrong.

Athena sensed the tension between Maggie and Glenn was still thick, still leaving her to question what happened in the pharmacy after she left. As they neared the farmhouse, Athena hopped off her horse and tied it to the tree along with the other two horses. Maggie quickly rushed off to see her father, leaving behind Glenn with a solemn look. "You okay?" Athena asked.