six. to the grave

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

THERE WAS NOTHING MORE that Athena enjoyed than when she found herself sat on the rooftop of Dale's RV. Whilst she perched on a deck chair underneath an umbrella, Athena felt content and peaceful as she gazed into the distance where all she could see was beautiful views that went on for miles. Somehow Athena found it quite poetic how at first glance you were blinded by beauty, but the closer you looked the more you could see the monsters seeping through the cracks.

It had been a few hours since she witnessed Shane snap and to say the image didn't linger in her mind is a total lie. After Shane had left, the group had managed retrieve Ed and being him back to camp where he laid in his tent the whole time — battered and bruised. Athena thought it'd be best to let Shane cool off before approaching him and that's exactly what she was doing.

Currently, Athena was sat beside Dale, keeping watch of the camp — partially. As Dale stood with his binoculars, Athena remained in her chair enjoying the heat against her skin. With the camp constantly on the go, they never had time anymore to simply relax and enjoy the moment. Which was why Athena was making the most of it.

"Better watch yourself, honey. Don't want you to burn in this heat, last thing we need is you getting sunstroke." Dale kindly explained, looking out for the young woman. He had often found himself looking out for Athena, feeling the need to guide her since she didn't really have anyone close to to her.

Athena opened her eyes and shielded them from the sun. "Yeah. You're probably right. I just love feeling the heat on my skin, reminds me of home when I would sit on the porch with my grandpa."

Dale pulled the binoculars away from his face as Athena moved into the shade. "My wife loved the sun. We would sit outside for hours just wasting time with pointless conversations. Most of the time it would end up with us arguing to who's right after some debate."

Athena smiled a little "And who ended up winning?"

"My wife of course. That woman always had to be right and mostly she was." Dale chuckled a little as he thought back to his wife. He truly did miss her everyday but was thankful she wasn't involved in this mess.

The brunette laughed before raising a brow inquisitively "See anything out there?"

Dale moved his head side to side slowly as he scanned the surrounding areas. "Nothing so far, we should be—" Dale paused abruptly, his eye seeming to have caught something in the distance.

Athena stood up from the chair and stood beside him, curiosity getting the best of her as she looked in the same direction with narrowed eyes. "What? What do you see?"