Chapter 14

Why should I be unhappy? Every parcel of my being is in full bloom.

-Rumi Quotes

**

7 months later,

Again a rush full morning for Alakananda in her own space. After staying there for so many years Alaknanda decided to move in and get her own rental place near Delhi University so that she can skip the warden part. Alvira was anyway married and shifted to Dubai with her beau and Alakananda seriously needed her own space after that then juggling with those girls daily for food and water.

Her parents encouraged this decision because now they can simply come to saty with her anytime without any hesitance. Alakananda became a permanent lecturer now and was completely engrossed in her PHD assignment so that she can submit the thesis, her own aim was her thesis becomes best in Mathematics and final research be sent abroad.

Today was their annual day and faculty had decided to dress up well, celebrate call some chief guest so that they can encourage their students. Alka was in the guest handling community where she was supposed to take care of every member from chief guest comittee.

She decided to wore a pink and green saree today so that she looks her part of Indian formal, poise and perfect. Her long straight hair was left open and she thought of doing a nude make up to complete her beautiful look. She smiled herself at mirror after completing her look.

Thought of Avyukt sometime used to cross her mind but she didn't pay much heed to him as it didn't matter now, settling for one time will make her unsettle for the whole marriage experience. She decided her step well and didn't want to compromise at the start of relationship because this would have only increased problem in future which will give rising frustration between her and Avyukt and she is 27, a lecturer, she earns well for her self got a reputation in her community and can take care of her parents well in need. Why she should let herself get shackled in responsibilities and think of her incapability daily.

She came out of the thought when her phone started ringing,

'Yes Mrs. Khanna I am coming in 5 minutes I am ready.' The head faculty was on the other hand asking for her whereabouts. It was already 9:30 in the morning and the gathering will start soon. Everything was supposed to be in place. She took her scooty and reached the campus, till then she saw some red light cars already in the campus, she cursed herself for being late again.

When she reached the office area, outside the corridor all the people in the staff committee were going here and there just to settle themselves. Everybody wa arranging the annual gathering and didn't want to risk anything as there were officers, minister were coming for this programme. It's JNU after all nothing can be missed here. Things have to be poise and perfect.

Alakananda gathered herself and saw a man in black coat everybody have surrounded him and honouring with bouquet of roses. He went inside beut she was not able to se his face.

'Alaknandan come with me I need your help.'

Mrs. Khanna called Alakananda from the other end. Alka went to see what kind of help she need.

'I want you to take care of our chief guest he s sitting in the Principal's cabin please take our canteen waiter with some tea or coffee till the function begins.'

Alka gave a nod and left for upstairs. She asked the waiter for the help and they both were going towards the office.

'Please Maa, it doesn't happen that way.'

Alaknanda heard a familiar voice.

As soon as she pushed the glass door she was seeing the same figure in front of her. Though a brief meeting in the past but she had some effects on herself through this. She looked at his complete self both the eyes meeting each other, both comparing their looks 7 months ago. What kind of change the other one had.

'He has grown thinner from past.'

'She is more beautiful than before.'

Both paused for a second until the waiter in between cleared his throat.

'You keep it here, I will serve. ' Alaknanda said to the waiter and started arranging the tea pot.

'Sugar?'

'Half spoon.'

She gave a slight nod, Avyukt was observing her while she did all the chores of making tea not even flinching for once. Alaknanda could feel the goosebumps coming in because she knew Avyukt's eye was on her. They both were sensing the tension in the room. Thought there was nothing bitter in between them it was a formal decision taken by both but there was a kind of gap between their ways. They both looked ta how distant they were physically but there were some sort of attraction.

'I didn't know you were coming today.'

'But I expected you.'

Alaknanda looked at him at one shot, he did expected her. Like ofcourse she knew she is a faculty here so there are chances to meet but how come she didn't pay heed to the invitation card before. How come she missed this thing, she was thinking what she was doing all the while she was distributing the invitation card without reading the chief guest.

Avyukt was standing tall in front of her, she asked him to sit. She was leaving before that,

'Alaknanda, when will everything start?'

'By 10 everything should start event is on time.'

'I didn't know you are the IAS, congratulations for that.'

'I was preparing for my interview when we last met.'

'Hmmm.'

'How is your time here in Delhi going?'

'Delhi is benevolent to me.' They both smiled at each other. Till then Alakananda so Avyukt's fingers, a little diamond was shining on his ring finger. Avyukt instantly looked down to see what Alakananda has noticed both had their eyes met. She knew he would get engaged what is there in her to wait? There was some silence in the room.