𝟛𝟜. ℕ𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕤

------

TW: dissociation

------

Percy and I find them at the same time. 

He seems stunned. "I- I only left for a few minutes. I thought she'd be okay-" 

"Go get McGonagall," I say, hurrying over to bend down beside the two bodies, checking for signs of life. 

Penelope is laying on the ground, stiff and pale. Next to her is a second year Gryffindor girl. Hermione, I think. 

This doesn't feel real. The attacks were over. There hasn't been one since before Christmas. Why now? Why Penelope? 

McGonagall comes running down the hallway. "Who is it?" she asks. 

"Penelope Clearwater and Hermione Granger," I say, surprised my the calmness in my tone. 

I step back and allow McGonagall to inspect the girls. 

"They're only petrified," she says. 

"That's good," I nod, feeling very out of it. It feels like I'm not here right now. Like I'm in an absurd dream. I don't like it. 

Percy returns to the scene with Professor Dumbledore and Madame Pomfrey behind him.

"Oh, dear," Madame Pomfrey exclaims. 

Dumbledore is quiet as he joins McGonagall in examining the bodies. 

"We need to cancel the quidditch match," he says. "Minerva, will you inform the students at the pitch? Poppy and I will take the girls back to the hospital wing." 

"Sir-" Percy starts. 

"Help round up the students, Mr. Weasley. And Ms. Parker- go directly back to your dormitory." 

I nod and turn around, starting the journey back up to Ravenclaw tower. 

What's just happened doesn't hit me until I reach the doorway. 

"I have cities, but no houses. I have mountains, but no trees. I have water, but no fish. What am I?" the cool voice asks. 

"I-" I stutter. If I get this wrong, I don't have Penelope to rely on. "Um, I-" 

"Not quite," the voice says. 

"Wait- no, that wasn't-" I say, my eyes brimming with tears. I'm stuck out here now. 

I let myself sink to the floor, furiously wiping my eyes. I can't let anyone catch me crying.

"Laurie- what's going-" a voice says, walking up. It's Clancy, accompanied by Dougal. 

"I got locked out." 

"Did you hear they cancelled the quidditch match?" Dougal asks. 

I hiccup and burst out in tears. 

"Are you alright?" Clancy frowns. 

The cool voice repeats the riddle. 

"A map," Dougal says. He helps me up and we go into the common room, which is empty for now. 

"There was another double attack. Penelope's been petrified," I say. 

"Penny?" Clancy asks. 

"No-" Dougal says. 

I nod, hugging my elbows. "She was in the library with Hermione Granger." 

"Are they going to be okay?" Clancy asks.