𝟡. 𝕄𝕦𝕘𝕘𝕝𝕖 ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕪

------

------

I'm ecstatic to see my mum and Joyce. They're excited to see me, too. 

Christmas at home is a blast. I don't see Russell at all during the break; his family lives in Wales and mine near London. 

Russell writes me a sweet letter and sends me a gift- a silver charm bracelet. It's quite pretty. 

I'm wearing the bracelet at dinner on Boxing Day. My mum notices it. "Where'd you get that?" 

"Oh- um, a boy named Russell." 

"You have a boyfriend!?!" Joyce shouts. 

"Laurie! You didn't tell me!" 

I laugh. "He's a beater on the quidditch team."

"I swear, you've got to write to me more often." 

"I write you every week, Mum," I laugh. 

"Still- it feels like I hardly know you." 

"It's okay, I tell you almost everything in my letters."

This satisfies her and she goes back to eating her dinner. 

The next day, I don my jacket and go for a walk around the neighborhood. A boy from my elementary school is shoveling his sidewalk in front of his house. 

"Laurie!" he grins. 

"Hi, Leo!" 

"Home for the holidays?" he asks, leaning his elbow on his shovel. The muggles think I go to a boarding school. 

"Yeah, I go back to school January 6th." 

"Wow, long break." 

"Yeah. How's your school going?" 

"I mean, it's public school," he laughs. "Are you doing anything on New Year's?" 

"No, I'm not." 

"You should come to the New Year's dance! It's in the school gym, but anybody can come." 

I grin. "Can I bring a few friends?"