8. A tinge of hope

Several days went by, and though Mistoffelees was quickly getting better, Munkustrap's state was still concerning. Jenny and Jelly barely left his side. Eriva was gradually becoming accepted by the tribe, largely thanks to Demeter's protection. She got to know Tugger, Bombalurina, Cassandra, Plato, Alonzo, Victoria and many more queens, toms and kittens. She figured out that Demeter was Munkustrap's mate, or at least that she loved him. Speaking of love, many cats seemed to believe that Eriva and Mistoffelees "had a thing", as the youngest ones put it. It was true that they had spent a lot of time together. Misto was the only one who was able to calm her down when she had panic attacks, and the only person - along with Demeter - whom she truly trusted. She also enjoyed Mungo and Rump's company, but the twins kept to each other quite a lot.

About a week after the battle, however, Mungojerrie was busy elsewhere, and Eriva and Rumpleteazer were on a walk together, when they fell across Grizabella. They hadn't seen the grey, miserable-looking queen in the past week, and Misto had explained to Eriva that she wasn't really a member of the tribe - or at least not anymore. She never came to the junkyard. When they saw her, the two queens exchanged a look of surprise, then decided to join her. She greeted them wearily.

"Hello, ladies. Eriva, it is good to see you... You look in better shape than last week."

"I'm getting better", Eriva agreed.

"How is everyone? How did that... Well, attack, turn out last week?"

"Oh..."

Rump and Eriva exchanged a concerned look.

"Is someone dead?" Grizabella's tone was alarmed.

"Oh, no! Well... Munkustrap is badly injured... He hasn't woken up yet and... We don't know if he'll make it", Rump admitted.

Grizabella looked thoughtful for a while, as if lost in a deep internal dilemma.

"Munk... Well", she said at last, "I may know someone who could save her."

Both queens looked up with renewed hope.

"Do you really?"

This decision seemed to be a very hard one to make for Grizabella, but she stuck to it.

"Yes. Just... I need to talk to the tribe."

Rump and Eriva exchanged one more uncertain look, then agreed. The three queens walked back to the junkyard. The instant they noticed Grizabella, the cats grew very silent, and hisses of dislike came from everywhere. Eriva cowered as though they had been addressed to her. Misto noticed this from where he was and suddenly appeared at her side, wrapping his arms around her in a comforting manner.

"What is she here for?" Bombalurina spat at Rumple and Eriva.

"She helped save Eriva", Misto said.

"She's not welcome here!" someone called out.

"Go away!"

"We don't want you here!"

Grizabella retracted. Rumpleteazer jumped up in front of her.

"Listen, please!" she implored.

"If you don't do it for my sake", Grizabella added, drawing courage from Rumple's intervention, "at least do it for Munkustrap!"

An angry Demeter stood up at once.

"How dare you talk about him!"

"She can save him!" Rump cried out.

Suddenly, the junkyard went very silent.

"Can you really save Munk?" Demeter eventually asked, taking a few steps towards her.

"I know someone who can", Grizabella answered."I can take you to her."

"You're not going to listen to her, are you?" Bombalurina spat with disdain. Demeter turned to her.

"If it's for Munk, I'd do anything."

Tugger gave Bombalurina an apologetic look and nodded that he agreed with Demeter. Bombalurina gave in.

"Fine. Take them to her then. But I'm not coming with you."

Demeter, Tugger, Eriva, Misto and Rumple grouped around her, ready to leave. At the last moment however, Grizabella pointed at Rumple.

"You'd better stay here."

"Why?" she asked, offuscated.

"Because the person in question is old and respectable and needs people who know how to behave."

"I know how to behave!"

"For once, I agree with her, Rumple", Skimbleshanks put in. "You're not the delegation I'd send to meet another Old Deuteronomy."

Rumpleteazer pulled a face but remained behind. Only for Munk's sake, she thought to herself.