13. Explaining

Hellooooo I'm back!!! I had amazing holidays btw!

Anywayyyy here we go for not one but TWO chapters! I'll sort of resume a normal publishing schedule now. Sort of. Except in August when I'll be absolutely all over the place but never mind ^^'

After quite a long time of waiting, Jennyanydots finally came to the door of the den.

"He's saved", she announced to the tribe, sending indescribable relief surging through the crowd of cats. Alonzo, Bombalurina and Misto ran to Jenny, quickly followed by others. Eriva, standing aside with the Moonlit, could tell Misto was dying to see Munkustrap, but didn't dare to ask. It was Bombalurina who did it for him.

"Can we see him?"

Jenny looked back into the den at Lady Felegrine, who nodded. Demeter helped Munkustrap get up and he leaned on her to get to the door. They were immediately surrounded by the tribe, most of whom looked ready to cry with relief.

"Munkustrap! Munk!"

Munk tried to greet everyone, taking hands, bowing, nodding, hugging. At the same time, he looked around the junkyard, making sure everyone was there and safe. Eventually, the tumult died out, and everyone settled down around Munkustrap, who was still leaning on Demeter. He looked over to her and Tugger.

"You owe me an explanation", he pointed out, hugging Demeter with one arm.

"Right. Well..."

She awkwardly looked around, then her eyes settled on Mistoffelees. Understanding that he was going to have to do a lot of explaining, he stood up and joined the center of the circle formed by the Jellicles.

"It... Well. I guess it all started with Eriva, really."

He indicated the grey-blue queen who was sitting timidly in a corner, not daring to join them. He and Demeter gave her a comforting smile, but Munk frowned.

"What is she doing here?"

Misto looked away, unsure how to confess that he had disobeyed a direct order from Munkustrap, but Mungojerrie jumped in.

"Rumpleteazer and I offered to help Misto get Eriva out of Macavity's claws", he said firmly, in a voice that showed no regret whatsoever, but rather a certain pride.

Munkustrap looked upset by this, but Demeter leaned over to him.

"She's been through what I have", she whispered. Munk didn't look fully satisfied but gestured for the cats to go on. Mistoffelees took over.

"We went to Macavity's den, and he was away." He deemed it best not to talk about Grizabella yet. "When we found Eriva, she told us Macavity was planning to lead you in an ambush, so we ran to help while Mungo and Rump went to get the tribe..."

"By the time we got there, you and Misto were out cold and Eriva was fighting Macavity alone", Demeter said softly. "So we brought you back here... Misto made it alright, but you..."

Her voice broke. Misto took over again.

"We were really worried about you. It's been a week. And earlier today, Rump and Eriva met Grizabella..."

"Grizabella? She's here? What was she doing here?"

"She's not here. Not anymore", Mistoffelees answered. She said she knew someone who might be able to help, and she took us to Lady Felegrine..." He indicated the elderly queen as he spoke. "Lady Felegrine is the leader of another tribe, the Moonlit tribe, who lives in an abandoned building, on the other side of town. Leekochlorus, Edinson and Celestiara here are members of her tribe. And, well, Lady Felegrine agreed to help us..." He, Tugger and Demeter exchanged an awkward look, but neither of them said anything. There would always be time, later, to explain about Grizabella. "And here we are", he concluded.

Munkustrap bowed his head to Lady Felegrine.

"Thank you, Lady Felegrine. Thank you to all of you... And to you, Eriva."

Eriva looked up and met his gaze, then looked down, fully aware that though Misto, Demeter, Mungo and Rump, and most of the others truly cared about her now, that was far from being Munk's case. Demeter gave Misto a saddened look, but he was not looking her way. His ears had pricked up and his head was in the air, as though he were tracking a scent no one else could pick up.

"Misto?"

Hesitantly, Mistoffelees looked over to Coricopat and Tantomile, who seemed to feel it too, whatever "it" was. They nodded to him.

"Old Deuteronomy!"

There was a stunned and excited whisper. Munkustrap looked around at his tribe.

"Alonzo-"

The black and white cat got up at once, gave an honored bow, and skipped off to escort Old Deuteronomy. The rest of the tribe proceeded to clean themselves up, Jelly and Jenny rounded up the kittens, and they all sat up straight in waiting. Eriva sunk more deeply into the shadows. The Moonlit grouped around Lady Felegrine, who seemed to have sensed Old Deuteronomy's coming as well.

"Lady Felegrine", Celestiara dared, "do you know Old Deuteronomy?"

"Yes, my child, we have met."

"The Jellicles seem to think of you as our equivalent for him", Ed observed.

"I wouldn't claim that honor. I am far from being as wise and powerful as Old Deuteronomy."

Leekochlorus helped her sit down before kneeling next to her. Edinson settled down close to her, and Celestiara cuddled against him, looking up to Lady Felegrine.