11. Saved

I'm so not proud of this chapter. It's short and not as well-written as I would have liked. It's funny, as I write, I realise my style is getting better and better... Like, I started writing it almost as a joke to myself so I didn't care about how well-written it was, and now it's more serious and I'm really trying to do things well!

Anyway, while I have your attention: I'm going on holiday next week, so there'll be no update on Wednesday. BUT to make up for that, you get TWO chapters today! So stick around for the second one :)

The little group: Lady Felegrine, Leekochlorus, Edinson, Celestiara, Tugger, Demeter, Mistoffelees and Eriva, headed back to the Jellicles' junkyard. They were greeted with worry and eagerness. In Anukari's absence, it was Leekochlorus who did the introducing, bravely facing the line of Jellicles all staring at them.

"I am Leekochlorus, and these are Edinson and Celestiara. We have come with our leader, Lady Felegrine, who has agreed to help your injured friend."

"Can you save Munk?" Jemima piped up.

"Yes, she can'', Celestiara answered. "Lady Felegrine is very powerful."

"From what I understood, she is a little like our Old Deuteronomy", Demeter told the kittens. "Wise, respectable and powerful."

Jennyanydots showed Lady Felegrine into the den where Munkustrap was still lying. On the door, she stopped and turned to look at Demeter and Tugger.

"You two ought to come", she told them.

They followed, stepping after her into the den. It was the first time they were allowed in since the attack and Demeter felt her heart sink at the sight of her mate. He was lying unconscious, and his body was scarred with ugly-looking wounds. Jellylorum was at his side. Lady Felegrine knelt next to him and Jelly retreated. Demeter and Tugger knelt down on Munkustrap's other side. Demeter took Tugger's hand instinctively and he let her, softly squeezing back.

Lady Felegrine softly laid both hands on Munkustrap's injured body. For a moment, it seemed like nothing was happening, then Demeter noticed the wounds were slowly closing up. Progressively, without any unnecessary show, Munkustrap was healing.

After some time, he began to stir. His eyes opened and met those of his mate and his brother.

"Whatever happened...?"

"Shh", Tugger hushed him. "Everything's okay." At least, now it is, he added for himself.

"We'll explain everything, I promise", Demeter said softly, running a hand along Munk's cheek.

Munkustrap's head turned and he frowned when he saw Lady Felegrine.

"Who-"

"Don't speak yet", she ordered, cutting across him. "You'll live, but you almost did not. You're going to need rest."

Jelly, behind her, nodded for him to obey. Munk fell silent and looked back at Demeter, whose eyes were filling with tears of relief. He took the hand that she was still resting on his cheek and gave her a weak smile, leaning into her touch. She returned it as best she could. Slowly, he could feel his strength returning.

"There", Lady Felegrine finally said. "I believe I have done my best."

Tugger looked at her with reverence and immense gratitude.

"You... Have worked a miracle", he said in a voice that was abnormally loaded with emotion. "I don't know if we can ever thank you properly..."

Lady Felegrine gave him a soft smile.

"You don't have to."

She stood up and moved away, leaving the three cats some space. With his free hand, Munk took Tugger's. Tugger grasped his brother's hand with both of his, overwhelmed with an emotion neither Munk nor Demeter had ever seen him display.

"Tugger..."

"Sorry", he said, angrily wiping his eyes.

"Everything's okay", Munk promised, squeezing his brother's hand.

"Of course it is, I just... Ugh. Munk..."

Munk smiled at him and squeezed his hand, moved more than he would let on. Neither Tugger nor Demeter were fooled, however. They both knew him too well.