Untitled Part 4

You've only left Madripoor a couple of times. Mostly it's the cost of traveling that stops you from going overseas. You don't need anything cutting into your "retirement" fund.

Amazing how quickly monetary problems can disappear when you're involved with a very generous Baron.

"Would you like anything to eat before we arrive?" Zemo asks you. He's got this sleepy sort of content smile on his face as he looks over from his seat facing yours on the plane— his plane to be exact.

"No, I'm fine thanks" You reply. You can feel your expression mimicking his, and why not. Its peaceful up here alone with him above the clouds.

"You look exquisite in this light." His tone is sort of teasing as he beats you to the punch because you always make fun of his erudite speech, but you can see that he really means it.

"I don't think anyone could look bad flying past a sunrise." You say dreamily.

Letting your head drop to the side, you rest your cheek against the leather headrest and look out at the fluffy white clouds and colorful sky as the warm tones hint at the oncoming day.

He agrees with a little laugh that gets your attention. Zemo looks out the window but his mood darkens like it tends to do without much warning. It's not anger, is that—guilt?

"I'm sorry I was gone for so long." He says slowly, his focus on you again.

Ah, you wondered if this might come.

The last time he saw you did not go as planned. He'd met the car at the curb and climbed into the backseat with you before you could even get out at his place.

Oezenik, who you now to be his most lovely butler and driver had been told to head back across the bridge, during which time Zemo had proceeded to give a very cryptic explanation as to why he had to cancel the weekend. Something about being in a tight spot that involved his prison escape and whoever helped him do it. You still don't know that that means, but you can vividly remember how it felt to stand at the top of your street, after you'd been dropped off, feeling nothing but dread at the thought of going back to your apartment on a Friday for the first time in weeks. But it wasn't just the disappointment. You'd been afraid for him. "Watch your back" You'd whispered to him, to Helmut Zemo with that final kiss before you watched him go.

He'd been gone for almost two weeks.

So when the text came a day early this week you must have sat there in your kitchen staring down at it for a solid minute before picking up your phone.

Would you like to take a trip with me?

You had no idea what to say, had someone stolen his phone? He had never, not once, text you anything other than a confirmation of pick up time and certainly not on a Thursday.

Zemo?

Yes.

A trip where?

I have business in New York.

Yes!

You might have been a little hasty in agreeing to fly across the ocean, but how could you say no!

The car came for you early Friday morning and you'd been spoiled by Oeznik with mimosa's and pastries and taken a long nap once the private jet reached cruising altitude. Now, you were sitting across from the Baron wondering where this was going. Not the plane— the relationship.

Today is the first time he's ever felt the need to apologize for anything. The gesture is kind but unnecessary.

"I told you, I understand. I know you have... a lot going on." You have to work your way around your words with him sometimes. You do what you must to keep up with what the Baron does outside of your fantasy world with him, but you're still unsure of letting him know that. After all, it's his life away from you that keeps the relationship perfectly balanced. There's no time for feelings to grow when he comes and goes so often, at least you keep saying it over and over as you try to keep your emotions under control, but fuck. Look at him.