Continued 27

Go figure, Helmut was lying.

A purse, a necklace, earrings — all the things his money can buy and then some.

You wonder if the gifts will stop coming as you go wild opening them in the dressing room of the apartment. It's been a magical evening with champagne and one of the best cakes you've ever had, and now all of this.

You stand in the mirror admiring the earrings when you feel the weight of something warm and expensive on your shoulders. The tears come as quickly as you realize— Bucky's gotten you a new leather jacket.

"It's perfect," You gasp in the mirror, turning to see. It's not just a leather jacket; it's very similar to his but different in ways that suit you perfectly.

Between the sparkle coming from the understated jewelry and the soft leather hanging from your shoulders, you feel like a fucking queen.

Petra even looks a little misty-eyed, watching from the corner with the babies, panting cluelessly happy.

It's Oeznik who breaks up the little party, "Your guests are arriving, miss," he says with a warm smile and Helmut jumps up from the settee with a loud clap, all excited, his eyes sparkling with his occasionally wild energy.

"What have you done?" You demand following him out of everyone's favorite room in the penthouse — yes, Bucky included.

"Nothing, nothing, just a small thing, really." He says with a grin so wide even Loki would be suspicious as you go into the hall.

"Sure." You roll your eyes and glance at Bucky as he passes, your eyes lingering on him. Damn, he's become something of a fashion aficionado without realizing it since moving back to New York. Your gaze could best be described as dirty as you eye him from behind in black boots, and not the bad-guy fighting kind either; these are strictly for looking good. He's wearing a pair of black jeans that show off that glorious ass and a short sleeve black button-down with a rich floral print. He glances back over his shoulder, feeling your eyes on him, and smiles. He knows he looks good; plus the three of you are still riding your high from this morning's sex. It was a bonding session for lack of a less obnoxiously sweet term, and now you can't stop touching one another as you walk down the long hall from the dressing room with your men; proud of your interview, loving your gifts, and drowning in their affection.

And then you freeze in the doorway, too stunned to move.

"Surprise," Helmut whispers in your ear.

Bucky steps aside, crossing his arms with his head down to hide the brightest smile you've seen on him yet.

He and Helmut— these wonderful boys— have flown in two of your friends from Madripoor and invited the only other two you've made since moving back to the city, one of which you and Bucky both knew because she'd been your neighbor in his old building. Just the very presence of estrogen makes your heart sing.

However, the biggest surprise by far is Sam, who comes in just as the second or maybe third bottle of champagne is popped.

You really aren't expecting to see him.

You know he and Bucky keep in touch quite a lot actually, and during Helmut's transition from Zemo the terrorist to Zemo the... not terrorist... he'd come around once or twice, but things are still a little weird. Honestly, you're just thrilled to see him in a casual setting, and it seems so are they.

The best part of it all is watching the way Bucky doesn't stop himself from doing any of the things he'd typically do around Helmut. When he thanks him for a beer from the fridge, he kisses him; when he makes a horrible joke and Helmut groans, Bucky insists that this is just one of the many reasons why Zemo loves him, right in front of Sam.