Continued 8

"You're pretty quiet over there." Bucky says splashing you from across the large tub. You've both been in for a while now after Zemo took a quick shower and left you alone letting you know he'd be up waiting at the dinner table.

Roused from your daydream but still not sure you want to talk about why you're so quiet, you glance over and shrug.

"Whats wrong? You're not mad about what happened are you?" Bucky asks sliding a little closer. The tub is surprisingly big in an already large bathroom and yet again you wonder how you'll return to real life when this all ends.

"What happened?" You ask him.

"Getting you in trouble? He really put a shine on your backside." Bucky says, a smile breaking through any attempt at being serious.

You sit up surprised to hear that's what he thinks it could be. "Ha! No. Not at all. That was amazing... god" You tip your head back, the image of Bucky, naked and tired to a chair with Zemo holding him and whispering in his ear will be seared into your mind for life. "I didn't know you could come that much." You say, slowly looking back down at him,trying not to giggle.

"Neither did I." He says practically blushing before he grins. "Same goes for you." He tosses right back.

You laugh and roll your eyes. "Okay well we both know he's capable of turning us into sex crazed idiots apparently." You say with a cheeky grin and Bucky laughs shaking his head with a sigh.

"What is it? Some Sokovian spell or something, magic from the old world?" Bucky says with a thick accent wiggling his wet soapy fingers in the air. 

Laughing you scrunch your nose. "Nah, that's all him. Just wait until you've been around him long enough to get to the good stuff."

"The good stuff!" He looks shocked "Well what the hell is all this!"

"This is amazing, but it not... well it's not him. Theres so much more than sex. Watching tv. Eating dinner in bed. Naps— once he read to me." You say with a sigh and the room goes silent as you both slip into a day dream laced with Helmuts beautiful voice surrounding you as he reads the classics on a warm summer night...

"You think he sits around daydreaming about us like this?" Bucky asks with a frown. "I worry sometimes."

"Really?" You ask looking into his big blue eyes. Hundred years old and still so sweet. "Of course he does. Bucky, he wouldn't have done any of this if he didn't spend as much time thinking of us as we do him. Don't be so naive"

He nods looking out the window and you know he's just out of practice. He probably had a swarm of girls around him back when his life was normal. Maybe even a secret guy. But how long ago had that been. And since he'd been released from the words, his only real time spent with anyone has been with the two of you. For a moment you wonder if that's fair. He should go out on dates or something, but then again you did try to get him on some apps. He hated them all. Women swiped right like it was their job of course, but he thought it was strange and wanted to meet them the old fashioned way but when he did he could only focus on what he didn't like and just compared them to you— and Zemo.

"Hey." You get his attention again. "I mean it, I'm really not upset about anything that happened earlier. Thanks for being such a rule breaker." You say with a wink.

"No problem" He laughs as if that was his intention. Bucky's expression softens as he sits back, the water rocking under the bubbles.

Bubbles. Talk about a diva, if anyone on this big ass boat is capable of being over the top, it's Zemo. Two adults having a bath drawn from them; why not throw in the bubbles! You roll your eyes ignoring the way your chest gets tight with the feel of being so adored and loving every second of his needlessly extravagant ways. Focusing on Bucky —who looks stunning in the bath— your heart sinks just a little. 

"So what is it?" He asks unaware of your many distractions.

You look back to the window staring up at the sky for a while. "I'm just... sad." You say giving in to the truth "I mean, I'm thrilled being here. But I've had this idea that I could talk you into staying with us. I keep imagining this life with you and Helmut and I know it can't happen for so many reasons but I'm stubborn and spoiled. I truly hate not getting my way. So I keep thinking, maybe."

He goes quiet now understanding, and then you feel his hand on your knee under the water. "I know. I've thought about it too. Maybe a little too much. Definitely enough that I've almost convinced myself it could work, but no. It just wouldn't."

You press your lips hesitant to say in case you might offend him but decide to just go for it. "And you're sure it's not just that you miss it? Saving the world and everything? I mean, I can see how it would be appealing— from controlled killer to stoic hero." You tease gently, wiggling your brows up and down until he laughs a little, probably more annoyed than you'd like, and whatever facade you'd put on crumbles. The look of heartbreak turns your brows down, twisting your face with the agony of losing him. He looks surprised to see you so broken about it and finds your hand through the water.

"Hey hey hey." He pulls but you're not in the mood to be comforted. Bucky hates when you don't let him coddle you, but he knows better than to fight it so he simply answers your question. "Yes.Well. No I mean, it's nice. But honestly, if you really want to know, I could get used to being domesticated." He shrugs letting go of your hand as he looks towards the shower where Zemo was and you swallow the tears that have been overpowered by your intrigue.

Managing a laugh at his expense you poke his arm on the rim of the tub. "Really? By me or Helmut?" You ask and swear you see him blush.

"You've already proven you can turn me into a homebody, and happy to be there, so —Maybe both?" He shrugs and there is such a tone of possibility in his statement that you're instantly transported into a world in which the three of you are living happily. Maybe in this Mediterranean paradise, you've just come home from the market with ingredients for a dinner that Bucky has asked you to pick up and you help him cook while music blasts in your small but bright kitchen and you dance around until the house smells delicious and you set the table, flirting and toying with one another until everything looks beautiful before rushing to sit just as your Baron comes through the door...

Even here and now sitting in the tub with you, Bucky looks like the sweetest house husband glowing a soft gold in the light of the sun. What you wouldn't give to be his forever. His his and hers, you think and your chin quivers with the threat of happy miserable tears.

Bucky isn't oblivious to your hurting but he's trying to keep strong, he can't give in to you, not this time. "We'll never know if I stick around." He says and your little vision fades "I think I've got one visit, maybe two in me before someone notices an avenger hanging around their town and his cover is blown. You don't want that. I don't want that. I'd never forgive myself."

"I know." You say and only realize that your head is down when his hand, which is covered in white bubbles reaches to lift your chin.

"Hey, come one. None of that. We've only got a little bit of time. I just want to make the most of it. Give me enough good memories to finally forget about whats left of the bad."

You smile and nod, blowing the bubbles away before they go up your nose. "Fine." You sigh and look back out the window hugging your knees. "Buck, can I ask you something?"

"Of course." He says only cringing a little when you call him Buck.

"Do you think you might ever love him?"

Bucky freezes. He looks— odd. Uncomfortable. Exposed? You realize very quickly that he already does, even if he's not aware of it and decide not to push him

"It's okay. I was just curious." You say and try to calm him with your smile "We come from very different worlds. Letting myself love a man like Helmut Zemo took little to no effort for me, for you— I know why it might come as a shock. But I think you'll find, when you do admit it to yourself and to him, he might just surprise you with how quickly he says it back."